The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) is a state corporation established through the Science and Technology (Amendment) Act of 1979, as the national body responsible for carrying out health research in Kenya. Since its inception, KEMRI has developed a critical mass of scientists and technical personnel, to enable it mount a competitive research infrastructure to rank as a leading centre of excellence in health research both in Africa as well as globally.
- To carry out research in human health.
- To cooperate with other research organizations and institutions of higher learning on matters of relevant research and training.
- To work with other research bodies within and outside Kenya carrying out similar research.
- To cooperate with the Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation, the Ministry of Medical Services, the National Council for Science and Technology (NCST) and the Medical Sciences Advisory Research Committee in matters pertaining to research policies and priorities.
- To do all things as appear to be necessary,describe or expedient to carry out its functions.