IPA Côte d’Ivoire is seeking to recruit a qualified Temporary Research Associate for 5 months base in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, to work on diagnosis study in the pre-primary education area.
Conversations between Ark EPG and the Ministry of Education (MoE) in Côte d’Ivoire have highlighted a strong Ministry interest in (i) understanding the quality of current pre-primary providers and, based on this information, (ii) developing a pilot with the non-state sector to improve pre-primary education access and quality. The goal of the study is to generate new evidence on pre-primary education in Côte d’Ivoire to inform policy debates, and to develop a pilot with the MoE. In a first phase, IPA in collaboration with Ark EPG will undertake a mapping exercise and conduct surveys of pre-primary schools in selected urban areas.
The role of the Research Associate will be to finalize the research tools, coordinate field work including both the listing and survey of pre-primary schools, clean the data, write a field report and contribute to delivering descriptive statistics.
- Revising and piloting the quantitative survey instruments, including programming questions onto a mobile phone/tablets
- Revising and piloting qualitative survey instruments
- Recruiting, training and managing survey enumerators and qualitative moderators in accordance with IPA HR policies
- Planning and managing the data collection
- Monitoring and ensuring that data collection complies with IPA standards of data quality, including auditing enumerators, and conducting data quality checks
- Maintaining compliance with all IPA procurement procedures
- Maintaining financial control of study expenditures including budget verses actual reporting and regular revisions to spending projections
- Cleaning data
- Writing reports
- Participating in meetings with key stakeholders and presenting research findings;
- Overseeing human subjects’ approval applications, and ensuring that all necessary local authorities approvals are in place, and
- Performing related duties as assigned by supervisor
- At least a Bachelor's degree in economics, public policy, international development, or related fields
- At least 1 year of relevant work experience, preferably in a research setting and with data analysis
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail; ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude
- Strong quantitative skills and knowledge of Stata required; programming and other technical knowledge a strong plus
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and a team player
- Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies required
- Experience with electronic data collection preferred
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English preferred
- Experience conducting research in the education sector a plus
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Temporary Research Associate Education, Côte d’Ivoire”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.