IPA-Peru is looking to hire a Research Associate (RA) for 3 months to manage end line data collection of an RCT and conduct a high-quality and rigorous survey that will contribute to the understanding of the mechanisms to prevent deforestation.
In particular the study seeks to know whether augmenting the roles, responsibilities, and resources of community-based monitors reduces the quantity of renewable resources that are used and how this affects the welfare of users in the affected communities.
The RA will work closely with the Research Coordinator, Principal Investigators, staff from the implementing partner to oversee the implementation of the research study in the Amazon. The position is based in Iquitos, Perú.
The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
- Leading the implementation of the research study,
- Managing budgets and timeline,
- Managing day-to-day relationships with the implementing partner,
- Overseeing the implementation of the data collection,
- Hiring, training and managing enumerators for the field work in the Amazon area,
- Measuring and enforcing adherence to data quality protocols, including auditing enumerators, monitoring data collection, and conducting data quality audits,
- Data management,
- Programming the questionnaires in SurveyCTO,
- Developing reports and deliverables for donors,
- Maintaining detailed data collection and project logs,
- Maintaining compliance with IPA policies and procedures,
- Regularly communicating updates with the Research Coordinator and performing related duties as assigned by the Research Coordinator and the Principal Investigator.
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields
- Experience in managing field work in a challenging environment and data collection strongly preferred,
- Strong quantitative skills,
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred
- Strong experience working with Stata or similar data analysis software
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Flexible, self-motivating, pro-active and able to work independently in a challenging environment,
- Creativity and intellectual curiosity in experimental methods, ability to find quick and effective solutions to unforeseen circumstances
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in Spanish,
- Good communication skills in English,
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Temporary Research Associate, Deforestation”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.