Innovations for Poverty Action’s Right-Fit Evidence (RFE) Unit is seeking a temporary Advisor for five months to provide maternity leave coverage. The position will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh, or for the right candidate, could be done remotely from the Philippines, Myanmar or Australia with frequent travel to Bangladesh (e.g. 2 trips of 3 weeks each during the 5 months). This is an ideal opportunity to get exposure to the work of the Right-Fit Evidence unit, with strong possibility of ongoing work in our team if that is of interest.
The temporary Advisor will work on an engagement where IPA will be the learning and evaluation partner for a multi-partner initiative aimed at developing and embedding whole child development practices for children in adversity into government systems in Bangladesh
The position is expected to report to a Senior Manager from the RFE team.
We encourage those with the following profiles to apply as these skills and interests are a particularly strong fit:
- Management consultants with some international development experience who would be excited by a career shift to an entrepreneurial and impact-focused environment leveraging their skillset
- M&E practitioners who are interested in broadening their scope and impact on the field by advising multiple organizations on state-of-the-art M&E practices
- Research professionals in international development who enjoy working closely with practitioners and are interested in broadening their scope to all the types of data and evidence that can inform decisions
Irrespective of your background, RFE positions tend to be great fits for anyone with a growth-oriented mindset.
Under the guidance of a Manager specific to each project, and in partnership with IPA’s Bangladesh team and sometimes other global teams, you will work on various RFE advisory engagements for clients working to improve international development outcomes (NGOs, governments, social businesses, funders, etc.), working closely with them to develop tailor-made solutions for their MEL needs, and support their implementation. This includes the following responsibilities:
- Strategic and technical contribution: provision of advice and tools to advance partners’ learning goals in their programs, such as:
- Assisting clients to identify M&E questions to test the assumptions in their theory of change, and to design cost-effective approaches to rigorously test these assumptions
- Providing technical advice, to partners on the development and implementation of M&E plans, the design of indicators, data collection methods, and data management.
- Co-creating prototyping and iterative learning plans to improve early-stage program activities
- Designing learning-oriented process evaluations
- Project management: lead work planning and project management to ensure effective and timely implementation of our work
- Stakeholder communication: Maintain strong communication and partnership with key stakeholders, including direct stakeholder management with leadership staff from partner organizations
- Workshop design and implementation: Design and facilitate various kinds of external MEL-related workshops
- Research design and analysis: Take part in the design, implementation and analysis of data collection and other evaluative work (which RFE does sometimes in complement to partners’ own MEL, including on this project)
- Professional deliverables: Own the preparation and presentation of various types of advisory and analytical deliverables, maintaining the highest standards of communication efficiency
- Support on the development of new RFE engagements, including taking part in scoping meetings, contributing to the design of methodologies, and writing concept notes or proposals
While working on these engagements, you will also bring your own contributions to the ongoing improvement of RFE’s advisory service offerings.
Note: the RFE Unit is hiring for multiple positions in other locations. If you’re open to multiple locations and/or job levels you are welcome to apply to multiple RFE positions.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience, including experience in M&E (public sector), organizational performance/R&D/operational research (private sector), or experience in management consulting/other professional services
- Superior analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Experience with qualitative data collection and analysis.
- Familiarity with statistics and data analysis (including Excel)
- Strong client-facing and presentation skills. Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally.
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility, and ability to learn at a fast pace.
- Passion for making data-driven decisions a reality in the international development sector.
Preferred additional qualifications
- Language: Bangla fluency preferred.
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- Experience living and working in developing countries, particularly South Asia
- Familiarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the core tools of M&E (both quantitative and qualitative research methods)
- Familiarity with SurveyCTO, Open Data Kit or similar survey software
- Ability to use Stata, R or similar statistic Al software
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the APPROPRIATE CATEGORY job category, then select “Temporary Advisor, Right-Fit Evidence”. Applications require you to include a statement of purpose (cover letter) and CV.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
As an organization, IPA is dedicated to improving the lives of the world's most vulnerable populations through evidence and policy. We also recognize how important it is for our staff to reflect the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. As such, IPA is committed to hiring from a diverse pool of candidates, from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. We know that this makes our work stronger and more responsive to the challenges faced by those we work with and for and we encourage people from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Click here to learn more about IPA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.