To fulfill our mission of discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems, IPA needs secure, real-time information to make decisions across countries and functional teams. From budgeting decisions, to project management decisions, and relationship management with researchers, decision-makers, and donors, our information systems lay the foundation for our work. Last year, IPA undertook an initiative to build out, standardize, and pro-actively manage our country office networks and infrastructure enabling IPA’s 20+ country offices to connect, share, and back-up information in a secure and confidential manner that upholds data quality, security, and integrity. Building on this success, IPA strives to improve the secure administration and integration of our information systems and technology. The Systems & Database Administrator will be responsible for collaborating across IPA with program teams, functional teams, and country offices to ensure that all IPA’s systems and databases are securely administered, integrate appropriately where needed, and maintain data integrity.
The System & Database Administrator is responsible for the security, performance, and integrity of IPA’s administered systems and databases. He/She will be involved in the planning and development, evaluation and rollout, and administration and oversight of IPA’s systems and databases, as well as troubleshooting any issues. This role will work across functional teams to identify systems access and data needs; address data integrity gaps; identify critical systems requirements and capabilities; lead the oversight of the development and implementation of systems and database changes; and promote the use of evidence-informed decision-making process. The Systems & Database Administrator will be based in New Yorkor New Haven and must be willing and able to travel to IPA country offices when necessary.
Systems Integration and Administration (40%)
- Administer user access and security to IPA’s systems including controlling access permissions and privileges;
- Coordinate the upgrade and roll out of existing applications’ and newly available features
- Integrate new applications and develop existing applications to make them fit for IPA’s purposes.
- Map out and understand the flow of data between administered systems highlighting opportunities for optimization and areas that challenge data integrity (timeliness, accuracy, and availability)
- Write and maintain database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata);
- Work with technology leadership to develop, manage and test back-up and recovery plans for all administered systems;
- Ensure that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly;
- Support, manage, and maintain Enterprise Content Integration Platforms;
- Participate in capacity planning to accommodate security, sustainability, and scalability of IPA’s technology ecosystem;
Data Integrity and Analytics (60%)
- Communicate regularly with program, functional, and country office staff to oversee and maintain IPA’s data integrity and security across all administered systems;
- Develop and implement Global IPA data clean-up, audit, and update procedures and timelines;
- Maintain data standards, including adherence to all applicable data security and privacy laws;
- Respond to internal requests for data for organizational decision-making;
- Participate in the development and collaborative improvement of dashboards and other reporting tools to make data more accessible for decision-makers.
- Three or more years of progressive systems or database administration experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work with technical staff and leadership of an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent projects.
- Ability to meet deadlines, to conduct and direct research into systems and database issues and products, and to take initiative in the development and completion of projects.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical and evaluative skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Bachelor’s degree (required), formal certification in (any type of) database administration (preferred)
- Experience in a multi-office, multi-country environment (preferred)
To apply click here.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.