One of the biggest challenges in supplying education services to poor populations is low personnel morale, low engagement, and high absenteeism. This problem is particularly severe in Uganda, where teacher absenteeism rates are estimated at 27 percent. However, Uganda’s district-centralized teacher deployment system, where teachers are transferred every five years and can be placed in any school in a given district, offers a unique opportunity for low-cost motivation of teachers. In partnership with a rural district in Eastern Uganda, researchers are conducting a randomized evaluation to study whether rewarding top-performing teachers with a future posting of their choice incentivizes teachers to improve their attendance and the quality of their teaching. We seek a Research Associate to support this impact evaluation in the field.
The Senior Research Associate will work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: refining study design and surveying instruments, managing survey teams, checking and analyzing data, cleaning data and assisting in preliminary analysis, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, and coordinating with government partners running the programs being evaluated.
- Implement Computer Assisted Interviewing (CAI) for surveys;
- Oversee complex data collection operations involving multiple surveys and tests running simultaneously;
- Ensure adherence to data quality protocols, including auditing enumerators, monitoring data collection, and conducting data quality audits;
- Manage data entry and assist in data cleaning and analysis;
- Maintain critical high-level relationships with local governmental partners and monitor intervention implementation;
- Participate in meetings with key stakeholders and present research findings;
- Write reports detailing research findings and proposed interventions;
- Oversee funding and human subjects approval applications and reporting, and ensure that all necessary approvals are in place;
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor; and
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- A bachelor's degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields. A master's degree is a plus;
- One to two years of research experience;
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills;
- Experience living in a developing country is a strong plus;
- Fluency in English with strong communication skills;
- Knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software is preferred;
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to manage enumerator teams and survey operations at different levels (programming and data flow, financial budgeting and reporting, human resources and team building);
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player; and
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations.
- Ability and willingness to travel to various project sites
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with government standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with IPA standards
- Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Senior Research Associate, Teacher Transfer Project Uganda”. Applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. Note that you are able to submit your application without the recommendation letters. However, please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.