IPA Ghana is looking to hire a Senior Research Associate for at least one year to work on the Escaping Poverty study. The Senior Research Associate will be directly responsible for managing (data collection, implementation monitoring, analysis and reporting) the Escaping Poverty project and will report to a Research Coordinator/Manager. In particular, the Research Associate will perform the following responsibilities:
- Plan, conduct and lead field research activities including training field staff, team planning and logistics, and data collection;
- Conduct pilot survey exercises, provide feedback on field operations and survey instruments, and refine and finalize survey instruments in collaboration with the Principal Investigators;
- Provide quality control during the data collection and cleaning processes, and assist in conducting preliminary analysis;
- Ensure that research data and outputs are stored in a confidential and systematic fashion;
- Assist in the preparation of research reports, briefs and other documents for management, the Principal Investigators, donors and other external parties;
- Ensure close collaboration with implementing partners and other high-level stakeholders involved with the project;
- Monitor the implementation activities of the partner organization;
- Manage recruitment, training, management and performance evaluation of field staff;
- Develop and monitor activity-specific budgets for the project;
- Work with IPA Ghana’s Finance Team to keep detailed records of all project activities and establish systems to ensure the efficient disbursement and reconciliation of project funds;
- Directly supervise at least 1 permanent research or field staff;
- Regularly communicating updates and troubleshooting challenges with the Research Coordinator and PIs
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in economics, business management, social sciences, public policy, political science or related fields is required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
- Excellent computer proficiency (MS Office – Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
- Demonstrated proficiency in Stata and experience with data management and data cleaning
- Experience with quantitative research, particularly with randomized controlled trials.
- Experience running a large-scale survey and managing the survey implementation is preferred, but not required
- Experience with Computer-Assisted Interviewing is preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills;
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Senior Research Associate, Escaping Poverty”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.