IPA-Philippines is looking to hire a Senior Research Associate (RA) for two years (extendable) to manage an RCT that aims to measure the impact of a graduation type program on economic and social well-being of ultra-poor Filipinos. The program, Transform, is implemented by International Care Ministries (ICM), one of the country’s largest charities.
The RA will work closely with lead PI Dean Karlan and PI team and Research Analysts based in the US, the Research Manager and other IPA Philippines’ country office staff and ICM. The project is spread across various locations in the Philippines, so candidates should be prepared for extensive travel.
This project offers the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in quantitative data collection and to work with an engaged partner organization and senior PIs on a groundbreaking project that has already generated a lot of interest among academics, donors, and non-profits.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing various aspects of the project such as partner relations, ensuring adherence to study design and research protocols as well as ensuring highest quality data is collected in the field.
- Developing, field testing and finalizing questionnaires; managing translation into local dialects; programming the questionnaires in SurveyCTO
- Hiring, training and managing a large field team in collaboration with the project’s Field Manager
- Overseeing data collection activities; ensuring adherence to data quality protocols, managing data quality audits and running high frequency checks using Stata
- Communicating with ICM and other stakeholders about field activities when required
- Maintaining detailed data collection and project logs as well as implementing DMS and HFCs
- Regularly communicating updates and troubleshooting challenges with the Research Manager and Principal Investigators
- Supporting report analysis and writing
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields
- Strong quantitative skills
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred
- Experience working with Stata or similar data analysis software
- Familiarity with SurveyCTO preferred
- Ability to travel extensively and lead field work across the Visayas and Mindanao regions of the Philippines
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to work independently
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English, knowledge of Tagalog or other Filipino languages/dialects is a strong plus
- Working experience in a developing country is a strong plus
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the APPROPRIATE CATEGORY job category, then select “Senior Research Associate ”. Applications require you to include a statement of purpose (cover letter) and CV.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
As an organization, IPA is dedicated to improving the lives of the world's most vulnerable populations through evidence and policy. We also recognize how important it is for our staff to reflect the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. As such, IPA is committed to hiring from a diverse pool of candidates, from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. We know that this makes our work stronger and more responsive to the challenges faced by those we work with and for and we encourage people from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Click here to learn more about IPA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.