Innovations for Poverty Action Côte d’Ivoire seeks a qualified Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Associate to work for the monitoring and evaluation of pilot projects in the themes of early childhood development, primary education and rural vocational training. The M&E Associate will perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running pilots, refining study design and survey instruments, managing survey teams, checking, cleaning and analyzing data, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, and coordinating with local partners. The position is based in Abidjan and will report to the M&E Manager in Côte d’Ivoire, with technical oversight from IPA’s Right-Fit Evidence Unit.
In 2015, the Jacobs Foundation (JF) has launched the program Transforming Education in Cocoa Communities (TRECC) which aims to catalyze the interests of the private sector, the government and civil society organizations around the goal of ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education with lifelong learning opportunities for all. JF has decided to adopt a pilot-to-scale approach. JF and interested industry partners will jointly design different interventions and test them for 12-18 months, with clearly established parameters and commitments. Only pilot projects that will demonstrate tangible success will be scaled up. The Right-Fit Evidence Unit at IPA is a new effort aimed at helping organizations build strong and tailored Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) systems, which balance the need for information on impact with operational data to support management decisions.
In that context, IPA will provide M&E advice and capacity building to a set of 14 pilot projects, and simultaneously conduct independent data collection as part of a process evaluation of those pilots. Ultimately, both these pieces of work will feed into IPA’s recommendations for scale-up of the pilot projects as part of the next phase of funding. The M&E Coordinator will be responsible for the capacity building part of this project, from designing robust M&E frameworks, advising pilot teams on collecting data of high quality, analyzing data and writing final reports.
This position is ideal for a bright, energetic and versatile individual, who has previous experience designing and implementing M&E strategies, excellent communication and stakeholder management skills and understanding of data management and analysis. This position provides a unique opportunity to independently lead a challenging and ambitious M&E program. A 2-year commitment is expected.
- Revising and piloting the quantitative survey instruments, including programming questions onto a mobile phone/tablets
- Revising and piloting qualitative survey instruments
- Recruiting, training and managing survey enumerators and qualitative moderators in accordance with IPA HR policies
- Planning and managing the data collection
- Monitoring and ensuring that data collection complies with IPA standards of data quality, including auditing enumerators, and conducting data quality checks
- Maintaining compliance with all IPA procurement procedures
- Maintaining financial control of study expenditures including budget verses actual reporting and regular revisions to spending projections
- Cleaning data
- Writing reports
- Participating in meetings with key stakeholders and presenting research findings;
- Overseeing human subjects’ approval applications, and ensuring that all necessary local authorities approvals are in place, and
- Performing related duties as assigned by supervisor
- At least a bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, international development, or related fields
- At least 1 year of relevant work experience, preferably in a research setting and with data analysis
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail; ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude
- Strong quantitative skills and knowledge of Stata required; programming and other technical knowledge a strong plus
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and a team player
- Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies required
- Experience with electronic data collection preferred
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English preferred
- Experience conducting research in the education sector a plus
Preferred additional qualifications
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- Experience in management consulting or other professional services
- Demonstrated ability to coach and train others in statistics, data analysis or MEL methodologies
- Background in development programs relating to Early Childhood Development
- Familiarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the core tools of MEL (both quantitative and qualitative research methods)
- Familiarity with SurveyCTO, Open Data Kit or similar survey software
- Ability to use Stata, R or similar statistical software
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Senior Monitoring & Evaluation Associate, Cote d'Ivoire”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.