Innovations for Poverty Action’s Right-Fit Evidence (RFE) Unit is seeking a M&E Senior Associate to join our growing Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) advisory practice. The RFE unit is a global team that helps organizations use data and evidence to learn and adapt their programs to increase effectiveness. We do that by advising organizations on how to use data and evidence to design more effective programs and create meaningful measurement routines, and by accompanying them through the process of analysis and adaptation. The M&E Senior Associate will help develop and work on M&E advisory engagements across our country offices and program sectors based on need and areas of interest.
The position is expected to be based in New York City or Kampala, but with 15 to 30% travel (once the COVID-19 pandemic eases), and will report to an Engagement Manager. We would consider basing the position in other IPA offices in the US or East Africa for the right candidate.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a global research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. As its core business, IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. IPA has conducted hundreds of randomized evaluations across sectors, learning both whether programs work, and how they can work better.
Complementing this core business, the Right-Fit Evidence Unit at IPA is a new effort aimed at helping organizations build strong and tailored M&E systems, which balance the need for information on impact with operational data to support management decisions. In close collaboration with IPA’s sector programs and country office teams worldwide, the unit provides consulting services to implementers, donors, and governments, with the goal of helping them figure out what reliable data and evidence to gather, how to do it in a cost-effective way, and how to make the promise of data-informed programmatic decisions a reality.
The role is expected to begin with two initial projects and will include a number of different projects over time: (1) facilitating the development of effective MEL plans for financial interoperability implementers in Myanmar, Tanzania and/or Pakistan and (2) support two early childhood education communities of practice in East and Southern Africa. Beyond project-specific roles, the M&E Senior Associate will have the unique opportunity to contribute to the development of the core approaches and methodologies of the RFE Unit as it grows, setting the foundation for our ambitious growth and influence agenda within the development sector.
With oversight from the Engagement Manager and other senior RFE Unit staff, the Senior Associate will:
In partnership with IPA’s country office teams worldwide, work on a portfolio of RFE engagements for a wide range of clients (NGOs, governments, social businesses, funders, etc.), working closely with them to develop tailor-made solutions for their MEL needs, and support their implementation, including through:
- Strategic thinking about the most effective advice and tools for partners
- Workplanning and project management to ensure effective and timely implementation of our work
- Engagement with key stakeholders
- Design and facilitation of various kinds of external MEL related workshops
- Write-up and presentation of various types of advisory and analytical deliverables
- Contribute to the development of new RFE engagements, including taking part in scoping meetings, contributing to the design of methodologies, writing concept notes or proposals
- Support efforts to adapt and iterate on RFE’s advisory service offerings
We are seeing four different types of profiles that could fit this position particularly well (and if you don’t fall in any of these categories but feel like you meet the qualifications below, please do apply as well!):
- M&E practitioners who are interested in broadening their role in an advisory capacity, working with multiple organizations (both donors and implementers) on state-of-the-art M&E practices
- Researchers professionals in international development who are excited by the application of research and are interested in broadening their scope to all the types of data and evidence that can inform decisions
- Management consultants with some international development experience who would be excited in a career shift to an entrepreneurial and impact-focused environment leveraging their skillset
- International development practitioners who are skilled at working with stakeholders, have good analytical and problem-solving skills and are passionate about applying these into an M&E role
- Passion for making data-driven decision making a reality in the development sector
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility and willingness to learn and grow
- Superior analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Strong client facing and presentation skills, and ability to build relationships of trust with stakeholders at various levels.
- Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally
- Strong proficiency in Excel for data management and analysis
- Excellent writing skills
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience, including experience in MEL (public sector) or organizational performance (private sector) or experience in management consulting or other professional services
- Fluency in English
Preferred additional qualifications
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- Experience working in developing countries
- Familiarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the core tools of M&E (both quantitative and qualitative research methods)
- Familiarity with SurveyCTO, Open Data Kit or similar survey software
To apply click here.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.