IPA’s Financial Inclusion Program has recently launched a new consumer protection project. The project will partner with providers, regulators and civil society to conduct research that results in improvements in consumer protection practices in four markets: Bangladesh, Kenya, Nigeria and Uganda, with a particular emphasis on digital financial services. The project will focus on the following consumer protection priorities:
- Fraud affecting financial consumers such as loss of money, excessive charges or unauthorized account access.
- Access and use of complaints channels to resolve problems when they arise in financial services.
- Product information—e.g. pricing information and key terms—and its role in facilitating consumer choice.
- Gender issues related to consumer protection in financial services.
The project will develop and fund two types of research activities:
- Measurement & data analysis projects to demonstrate enhanced market monitoring techniques. This research will focus on exposing partners to new methods for collecting and analyzing data that can measure consumer protection issues. This could include the use of transactional data, consumer surveys, mystery shopping and consumer feedback mechanisms such as consumer hotlines or social media chat channels;
- Experimental research to advance evidence around consumer protection solutions to address the project’s consumer protection priorities. This research will include design of new interventions or improvements in existing ones, development of A/B testing and randomized control trail experimental design, and impact analysis on how these interventions impact key consumer protection outcomes.
IPA’s Financial Inclusion Program is seeking an Research Scientist to help ensure the successful implementation of the research agenda in the four markets to support improved consumer protection for emerging markets. The Research Scientist will support the Academic Lead, Xavier Gine, in research design and quality control, and support the Project Director, Rafe Mazer, to ensure effective implementation of research projects and timely delivery of findings and results in the four markets.
- Collaborate with the Academic Lead, Project Director and other partners in research design.
- Monitor project implementation to ensure quality control and adherence to the research specifications agreed upon.
- Coordinate between local partners, research organizations, and principal investigators to facilitate the successful implementation of the research projects.
- Sort, clean, analyze and report out on data and findings from the research projects.
- Draft reports, working papers and other materials to disseminate the findings of the research.
- PhD preferred or Master’s degree in development economics, international public policy, or a related field. MBAs also encouraged.
- Experience working on both quantitative and qualitative data collection.
- Experience analyzing large data sets, in particular financial data.
- Familiarity with debates around M&E and the use of evidence.
- Familiarity with RCTs.
- Knowledge of statistical packages such as STATA, R, Python.
- Superior analytical, quantitative and conceptual thinking skills.
- Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally.
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility and strong multi-tasking skills.
- Passion for making data-driven decision making a reality in the development sector.
Preferred additional qualifications
- Professional experience in financial services; international development; or financial sector policy, compliance, or supervisory experience.
- Experience working in the four focus countries or similar markets.
- Locally relevant languages in the four focus countries.
To apply click here. Please include a cover letter and CV/resume in your application.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.