Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks a highly motivated and qualified individual with strong project management, data analysis, and staff coaching skills as a Research Manager to oversee a portfolio research projects in Tanzania. This portfolio will cover various sectors and provides an opportunity to act as a critical bridge between leading academic researchers, policymakers, and staff implementing research on the ground. He/she will join the dynamic and committed IPA-Tanzania team and contribute to the successful implementation of research projects, development of new projects and capacity building of team members.
This position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania with occasional travel to field sites.
The Research Manager will perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Plan and supervise survey implementation, quality assurance, data cleaning, data analysis and other activities related to rigorous impact evaluation implementation
- Ensure project adherence to the research design, sampling strategy, data management, research protocols, and timelines
- Directly supervise project research staff and lead with transitions, on-boarding of new research staff, and maintaining institutional memory of project activities
- Build systems and structures to build staff capacity
- Keep the Country Director apprised of all developments on the projects within their portfolio and serve as a key link between the field team, research staff, project stakeholders, and Principal Investigators
- Oversee project financial management, including creation and monitoring of project budgets, and ensuring smooth integration of projects into IPA financial systems
- Be the point of contact for data management and analysis support for project staff by serving as the link between projects and IPA headquarters
- Manage relevant aspects of project staff payroll, project procurement, and project timelines
- Produce regular reports for donors, researchers, and other stakeholders and ensure timely submission of project deliverables
- Attend regular meetings with and manage relationships with key stakeholders
- Support in the development of new projects
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Master’s degree in economics, international development, public policy, or a related field
- At least three years of experience in managing multiple projects with increasing responsibility
- Excellent project management, budgeting, and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail
- Experience supervising data collection, teams of field workers, survey design and implementation and data management; background in randomized control trials preferred
- Advanced knowledge of quantitative data collection relevant to measurement and instrument development
- Advanced skills in Stata or any statistical packages and MSOffice
- Strong quantitative, budgeting, and financial management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Creativity and intellectual curiosity in experimental methods
- Ability to find quick and effective solutions to unforeseen circumstances
- Flexible, independent, self-motivating, ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and work under pressure
- Ability to work in a diverse, multi-cultural environment
- Tanzania experience is preferred
- We are looking for a commitment period of at least three years for this position
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Manager, Tanzania”. Most applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 830 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.