The Research Manager will manage a portfolio of three to five research projects, each of which is staffed with a team of 1 to 3 regular staff. These projects include the Graduation of the Ultra Poor Pilot (https://www.poverty-action.org/program-area/social-protection/ultra-poor) and the Character Development of the Ultra Poor project (https://www.poverty-action.org/study/belief-systems-andpoverty-alleviation-philippines).
As part of their supervisory role, the Research Manager will work closely with the various country office teams to ensure that effective support is given to projects and that projects are aligned with IPA Philippines practices. The Research Manager is also expected to work closely with Dean Karlan, and the rest of the Principal Investigator team, to ensure that projects are implemented well and engage implementing partners such as the Department of Labor and Employment, BRAC USA and International Care Ministries. In addition, the Research Manager will participate in IPA Philippines Senior Management discussions and contribute to the development of new projects, policy outreach, and capacity building.
This position will be based in Manila, Philippines.
- Ensure project adherence to general research design, sample selection, data management and general research protocols, and overall project management timelines;
- Directly supervise project research staff, and help with transitions, on-boarding of new research staff and maintaining institutional memory of project activities;
- Keep the Country Director apprised of all developments on the projects within their portfolio, and serve as a key link between the field office, project staff, and Principal Investigators;
- Lead training on data management and general project management for new/incoming project research staff;
- Promote inter-project best practices and take a lead in sharing best practices with projects through formal and informal trainings;
- Work with field office staff to ensure sound human resource and operational management of projects
- Oversee project financial management, including creation and monitoring of project budgets, and ensuring smooth integration of projects into IPA financial systems;
- Attend regular meetings with local government officials and other partners to ensure success of programmatic activities;
- Masters in development economics, or a field related to international economic development or education;
- At least three years of project management experience;
- Extensive experience conducting social science or economic field research; experience in conducting field research in developing countries required. Background in randomized control trials is strongly preferred;
- Extensive experience supervising data collection and teams of field workers, designing surveys and implementing programs;
- Experience with data management and econometrics. Advanced knowledge of Stata or any statistical package is preferred;
- Experience in/knowledge of the livelihood sector is a plus
- Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies required;
- Strong quantitative, budgeting and financial management skills required;
- Experience with presenting research findings at public forums, including to non-research focused audiences.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and complete fluency in English is required.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Manager, Philippines”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.