The Research Coordinator/Manager will be responsible for managing between three to five research projects, ensuring that the design, implementation (special focus on data quality), and finances run smoothly at all times. The role involves directly supervising and mentoring permanent research staff (one or two Research Associates per project) as well as short-term field teams during data collection.
The Research Coordinator/Manager will play a key role as the primary liaison between data collection activities, the management team in Yangon, and the Principal Investigators. This is a unique opportunity to combine management experience with a direct involvement in cutting-edge social research. Additionally, the Research Manager / Coordinator will engage in the development of new projects in conjunction with the Country Director, while also engaging with the country office staff to support skills development, systems enhancement, and policy outreach. Developing and fostering good relationships with government officials, donors, local stakeholders, and implementing partners will be another core element of the role.
- Ensure project adherence to the research design, sampling strategy, data management, research protocols, and timelines.
- Directly supervise project research staff and help with transitions, on-boarding of new research staff, and maintaining institutional memory of project activities.
- Keep the Country Director apprised of all developments on the projects within their portfolio and serve as a key link between the field team, research staff, project stakeholders, and Principal Investigators.
- Lead on-boarding and training on project and data management for incoming project research staff.
- Promote inter-project best practices through formal and informal trainings.
- Oversee project financial management, including creation and monitoring of project budgets, and ensuring smooth integration of projects into IPA financial systems.
- Attend regular meetings with key stakeholders to ensure compliance of programmatic activities with the research design.
- Support in the development of new projects.
- Masters’ degree in development economics or a field related to international development and social sciences.
- Excellent management and organizational skills and ability to work independently. At least two years of relevant experience designing, implementing, and managing applied research projects.
- Extensive experience conducting social science or economic field research in developing countries, including management of data collection activities and field teams. Background in randomized control trials is strongly preferred.
- Experience with data management and running frequent high-quality checks.
- Proficiency in digital survey programming (SurveyCTO is a plus)
- Advanced knowledge of Stata (and other statistical packages is a plus).
- Ability to convey information in an insightful and structured manner, both in written reports and oral presentations, including ability to effectively communicate with non-research audiences.
- Experience applying mixed-methods to economic research.
- Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies.
- Strong budgeting and financial management skills.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Coordinator/Manager, Myanmar”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.