IPA seeks a Research Coordinator/Manager to oversee a portfolio of three to five research projects, each staffed by Research Associates and Field Managers.
The Research Coordinator/Manager position is a unique opportunity to combine significant management experience with a direct involvement in cutting-edge development research. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to develop new projects in conjunction with the Country Director as well as staff development, systems enhancement, and policy outreach. Developing and fostering good relationships with government partners, donors, local stakeholders and implementing partners is another core element of the role.
This position will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
The Research Coordinator/Manager will be responsible for the overall management of a portfolio of projects, each of which will be staffed with a permanent team of 1 or 2 staff and up to 150 short term staff during survey periods.
- Manage a portfolio of projects and work with Principal Investigators to ensure their adherence to research design, sample selection, data collection, data management and general research protocols, as well as overall project objectives timelines.
- Directly supervise permanent research staff, including project staff with an eye on their professional growth.
- Promote inter-project best practices and take a lead in sharing best practices with projects through formal and informal trainings.
- Keep the Country Director apprised of all developments on the projects within the portfolio, and serve as a key link between the field office, project staff, and Principal Investigators.
- Support or lead in the development of new projects, in coordination with the Country Director, as well as potential researchers, implementing partners, and donors.
- Work with field office staff to ensure sound human resource and operational management of projects;
- Take part in regular meetings with local government officials and other partners to ensure success of programmatic activities.
- Support the dissemination of interim results via presentations and reports to non-academic audiences.
- Degree in economics, political science, public health, public policy, or related fields (quantitative background preferred). A graduate degree is strongly preferred.
- Strong analytical abilities, both quantitative and qualitative. Mastery of impact evaluation methodology and applications.
- Excellent management and organizational skills and ability to work independently. Two years of research or management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and perform in an entrepreneurial atmosphere.
- Ability to convey information in an insightful and structured manner, both in written and oral presentations, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external partners.
- Experience developing and managing project budgets.
- Experience with Stata required.
- Excellent communication skills in English required.
- Proficiency in Bangla and experience working in South Asia not required.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Coordinator/Manager, Bangladesh”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.