IPA Bangladesh is recruiting a new Research Coordinator/Manager to join our research team in-country. The project portfolio of our office is both expansive and demanding, so we are seeking a candidate with a strong technical and management background. This Research Coordinator/Manager position will oversee a range of research studies, each staffed by our team of accomplished Research Associates and Analysts. As a key individual in the leadership hierarchy of our office, the Research Coordinator/Manager candidate will serve as a critical bridge between leading academic researchers, policymakers, and staff implementing research on the ground. The high degree of responsibility and involvement in IPA projects required of this position will provide a candidate with a truly unique opportunity to guide research and see effective solutions to poverty come to fruition.
As noted above, strong technical and management skills are essential to success in this role and to ensure the highest quality, most rigorous design, and implementation of IPA’s research. An ideal candidate would have a solid foundation in impact evaluation methodology but could also guide and direct activities both upstream and downstream of any randomized evaluation (e.g. mapping theory of change, measurement design and piloting, data analysis, results communication, etc.). Further, the candidate must have effective communication skills both to manage IPA’s research personnel and field activities, but also to maintain strong connections with principal investigators as well as partners (present and potential). Such skills will also serve an essential role in the dissemination of results to partners, in report generation, and in active rapport-building with other organizations or government entities. In sum, a history of experience managing research or survey teams—including direction of complex workflows, partner relationship, and project financials—is valued highly.
We encourage applications from candidates willing to pursue this challenging and deeply rewarding opportunity.
- Coach, manage, and support a team of Research Associates / Analysts and field staff in the implementation of complex impact evaluations around the country.
- Manage relationships with investigators in multiple research institutions, funders, and implementing partners to ensure successful projects.
- Plan and supervise survey implementation, quality assurance, data cleaning, data analysis, and other activities related to rigorous impact evaluation implementation.
- Oversee the quality of client and partner deliverables
- Produce reports for donors, researchers, and other stakeholders.
- Maintain compliance with IPA’s policies and procedures as well as Bangladesh law.
- Support the development of new projects in Bangladesh by establishing relationships with researchers, implementers, and funders, and developing opportunities as well as proposals.
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Degree in economics, political science, public health, public policy, or related fields (quantitative background preferred). A graduate degree is strongly preferred.
- Strong analytical abilities, both quantitative and qualitative. Mastery of impact evaluation methodology and applications.
- Excellent management and organizational skills and ability to work independently. Two years of research or management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and perform in an entrepreneurial atmosphere.
- Ability to convey information in an insightful and structured manner, both in written and oral presentations, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external partners.
- Experience developing and managing project budgets.
- Experience with Stata required.
- Excellent communication skills in English required.
- Neither proficiency in Bangla, nor experience working in South Asia is required.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Coordinator/Manager, Bangladesh”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.