IPA-Philippines seeks a Research Coordinator to join a dynamic and committed team in the Philippines. The Research Coordinator will oversee Dean Karlan’s portfolio of research projects, each of which are staffed by our stellar team of Research Associates. This is a unique opportunity for an outstanding individual to provide strong leadership and act as a critical bridge between leading academic researchers, policymakers, and staff implementing research on the ground. The Research Coordinator must possess the technical skills to ensure the highest quality and rigor in the design and implementation of our research, the communication skills (written and verbal presentation) to maintain strong connections with our clients and partners (present and potential), and the managerial skills to efficiently and effectively manage complex workflows, staff teams, and project financials (i.e. budgets, grants).
As an ideal candidate, you not only have a rock solid technical foundation in impact evaluation methodology, but you can also independently guide and direct the activities that happen both upstream and downstream of any rigorous, randomized evaluation (i.e. mapping theory of change, measurement design and piloting, data analysis, results communication, etc.). You enjoy leading high-performing teams that drive the production of the highest quality research for our clients and partners. You excel in solving problems using clear, strategic, and creative thinking. You have a strong social acumen, and are excited about the opportunity to broaden, deepen, and manage meaningful relationships with high-level clients and partners across the public and private sector.
- Coach, manage, and support a team of Research Associates and field staff in the implementation of complex impact evaluations around the country.
- Manage relationships with investigators in multiple research institutions, funders and implementing partners to ensure successful projects.
- Plan and supervise survey implementation, quality assurance, data cleaning, data analysis and other activities related to rigorous impact evaluation implementation.
- Oversee the quality of client and partner deliverables
- Produce reports for donors, researchers and other stakeholders.
- Maintain compliance with IPA’s policies and procedures as well as Philippine law.
- Support the development of new projects in the Philippines, by establishing relationships with researchers, implementers, and funders, and developing opportunities and proposals.
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Degree in economics, political science, public health, public policy, or related fields (quantitative background preferred). A graduate degree is strongly preferred.
- Strong analytical abilities, both quantitative and qualitative. Mastery of impact evaluation methodology and applications.
- Excellent management and organizational skills and ability to work independently. (Two to four years of research or management experience preferred.)
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and perform in an entrepreneurial atmosphere.
- Ability to present information in an insightful and structured manner, both written and oral, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external partners.
- Experience developing and managing project budgets.
- Experience with Stata required. Additional experience with R/Python preferred.
- Excellent communication skills in English is required.
- Significant experience living and working in a developing country is strongly preferred.
- Lead a portfolio of Dean Karlan’s large-scale high-impact randomized control trials with high confidence that results will immediately reach key policymakers.
- Leverage IPA Philippines’ strong network of government and NGO partners from the highest levels of policymaking to middle managers on the ground to address knowledge gaps in development and build a culture of evidence use in decisionmaking in social programs.
- Engage in every changing work activities across diverse topics in and out of the office while enjoying the institutional support of IPA’s other offices and experienced local staff.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Coordinator, Philippines”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.