IPA is seeking a Research Coordinator to join our consumer protection team to help us tackle consumer protection challenges in the Nigerian market. The project will partner with providers, regulators and civil society to conduct research that results in improvements in consumer protection practices, with a particular emphasis on digital financial services.
The project will develop and fund two types of research activities:
- Measurement & data analysis projects to demonstrate enhanced market monitoring techniques. This research will focus on exposing partners to new methods for collecting and analyzing data that can measure consumer protection issues. This could include the use of transactional data, consumer surveys, mystery shopping and consumer feedback mechanisms such as consumer hotlines or social media chat channels;
- Experimental research to advance evidence around consumer protection solutions to address the project’s consumer protection priorities. This research will include design of new interventions or improvements in existing ones, development of A/B testing and randomized control trail experimental design, and impact analysis on how these interventions impact key consumer protection outcomes.
The Research Coordinator will support the Nigeria Country Director, Emeka Eluemunor, and Project Director, Rafe Mazer, to successfully administer and implement a range of research activities across the two types envisioned for this project.
- Support the Project Director and Country Director to prepare and deliver presentations, briefings and other content to current and potential research partners.
- Coordinate the research project development process across all phases: Project design, partnership agreements, budgeting and procurement, implementation and dissemination.
- Monitor project implementation to ensure quality control and adherence to the research specifications agreed upon.
- Build and support project relationships with local stakeholders, including government authorities, multilateral and bilateral partners, and private sector to facilitate the successful implementation of the research projects.
- Sort, clean, analyze and report out on data and findings from the research projects.
- Contribute to the delivery of high-quality policy and research outputs and activities. These include internal and external communications on the progress and outcomes of the research projects.
- Ensure project deliverables, such as reports and financial statements, are submitted on time.
- Take joint responsibility for project management, including drafting workplans, budget management, forecasting and ensuring value for money.
- 3 years of relevant work experience in research, international development, and project management.
- Experience supervising large data collection research projects, including leading survey design, implementation, and data management; background in randomized control trials.
- Experience working on both quantitative and qualitative data collection.
- Familiarity with debates around M&E and the use of evidence.
- Knowledge of statistical packages such as STATA, R, Python.
- Master’s degree in development economics, international public policy, or a related field. MBAs also encouraged.
- Superior analytical, quantitative and conceptual thinking skills.
- Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally.
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility and strong multi-tasking skills.
- Passion for making data-driven decision making a reality in the development sector.
- Ability to manage and coordinate diverse teams across stakeholders, including academic researchers, field staff, government and private sector partners.
- Experience working with diverse teams across multiple locations, including extensive remote locations of team members.
- Detail-oriented, flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and under pressure.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “ Research Coordinator, Consumer Protection ”. Applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. Note that you are able to submit your application without the recommendation letters. However, please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.