Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks a Research Associate to work closely with Professor Chris Blattman (University of Chicago) on projects related to crime, poverty, and violence. The Research Associate will act as Professor Blattman’s lead RA in Chicago. They will get the opportunity to work across multiple projects and to interact with Professor Blattman daily. The Chicago-based position will give those interested in pursuing graduate studies the added benefit of being immersed in the university’s academic environment (seminars, classes etc.).
We are seeking a 1-2 year commitment for this position. The position will be based in Chicago, at the University of Chicago’s Harris School.
- Conducting data analysis
- Managing field-work from Chicago, and possibly spending moderate periods of time in India or Colombia
- Assisting with data cleaning
- Maintaining regular communication with the Principal investigator
- Completing administrative tasks for the Principal Investigator as needed
- Supporting quality assurance measures for ongoing research projects
- Assisting in the writing academic papers and policy memos on a variety of topics
- Corresponding with external partner organizations and donors as needed
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in economics, mathematics, statistics, political science, or related fields
- Strong quantitative skills
- Strong programming abilities and statistics knowledge
- Knowledge of Stata (required); familiarity with R and Latex (preferred)
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Experience as a research assistant in a similar field
- Fluency in English with strong communication skills
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Language skills in Spanish
- Experience working in Latin America or South Asia
- Extensive experience in applied statistics and programming
To apply click here
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.