Innovations for Poverty Actions is recruiting a Research Associate to work on a project with the Stanford Economic Development Research Initiative (SEDRI). The Stanford Economic Development Research Initiative aims to gather data and evidence that help policymakers harness opportunities and identify policy solutions to the challenges brought about by rapid urbanization. The SEDRI does so by establishing long-term data collection and research presence in urban and peri-urban areas of Africa. The two principal investigators for this project are Professors Pascaline Dupas and Marcel Fafchamps at Stanford University. This position offers an opportunity to bolster prior first-hand field management experience along with researchers undertaking cutting-edge development research.
The Research Associate will work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: designing survey questionnaires, running pilot exercise, refining study design and surveying instruments, managing survey teams, checking, cleaning and analyzing data and coordinating with local partners running the programs being evaluated.
The Research Associate will perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Developing and piloting the survey instruments, including programming questions onto a mobile phone/tablet and managing the translation of the survey in French
- Assist in the electronic implementation of survey instruments in SurveyCTO
- Supporting creation of survey protocols and monitoring mechanisms for a smooth rollout of the intervention
- Hiring, training, and managing field teams who will conduct the interviews
- Managing all field logistics, procuring equipment, and ensuring the study and the intervention have approvals from local authorities
- Overseeing all the data collection. Monitor the data collection process from households and individuals
- Ensuring all data quality protocols are followed including auditing enumerators and performing daily checks of the incoming data; correcting the errors of staff iteratively to ensure the data is of the highest quality
- Managing the data from the collection at the household level to the delivery of a final, cleaned dataset;
- Managing the budget including tracking all expenses to ensure costs are within project funds
- Writing regular progress reports and leading project meetings to ensure deadlines are met
- Help to gather some administrative data related to the SEDRI project when needed.
- A Master’s degree in economics, public policy, international development or related fields
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French and English
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service
- Ability to work autonomously and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
- Strong quantitative skills and very good knowledge of Stata required; programming and other technical knowledge such as GIS is a strong plus
- Demonstrated ability to lead staff efficiently to achieve the project goals
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and a team player
- Knowledge of the local context of Ivory Coast is a strong plus
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, SEDRI”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.