IPA-Philippines is looking to hire a Research Associate to support work for Education and Governance research in the Southern Philippines. This project offers the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in quantitative data collection and to work with senior academics on a groundbreaking project.
The Research Associate supports the project team and assists the Research Coordinator in the overall project cycle activities and data collection. The RA assists the team in supporting the survey development, training the field team, piloting the instrument, programming the instruments in Survey CTO, conducting data quality checks and data analysis, and writing of reports. The RA takes the lead in the communication with the partner and the data collection team. The RA also plays an important role in planning and delivering monitoring and evaluation workshops for the partners.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting developing the instruments for data collection and backchecks, in close coordination with the Principle Investigators and the Research Coordinator.
- Programming the instruments in Survey CTO, following best practices and the most updated features.
- Preparing training materials and supporting the Research Coordinator in conducting enumerator’s trainings and piloting the instruments.
- Managing communications and planned activities with the field data collection team, including management of field data collection and timelines.
- Monitor the implementation of field work in close coordination with field managers and field coordinators.
- Coordinating with the administrative team the logistics required for data collection activities.
- Reporting progress of field activities and troubleshooting challenges to the Research Coordinator on a regular basis.
- Conducting data quality checks (high frequency checks and back checks), data cleaning and data anonymizing across all datasets using STATA.
- Accompanying the field team in the study sites as necessary.
- Communicating with implementation partners to ensure compliance with research design and smooth data collection processes.
- Developing presentations and other materials for monitoring and evaluation capacity building workshops, delivering presentations and organizing group activities during the workshops.
- Demonstrated proficiency in STATA and experience with data management and data cleaning is a must.
- Experience with quantitative research and statistical methods.
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in economics, business management, social sciences, public policy or related fields.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external clients.
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills.
- Experience with Survey CTO strongly preferred.
- Experience managing survey implementation is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with Computer-Assisted Interviewing is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with randomized controlled trials is preferred, but not required.
- Experience working in monitoring and evaluation strongly preferred.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player.
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English. Knowledge of Filipino is a plus.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, Philippines”. Applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. Note that you are able to submit your application without the recommendation letters. However, please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 830 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.