IPA-Philippines is looking to hire a Research Associate to support work for a Migration and Education research in the Philippines. This project offers the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in remote quantitative data collection methods and to work with our PI on a groundbreaking project that aims to build evidence on the impact of migration on the academic performance of children of migrant workers. Project activities start in September 2021.
The Research Associate supports the project team and assists the Principal Investigator in the overall project cycle activities and data collection. The RA assists the team in supporting the survey development, training the field team, coordinating with project partners, piloting the instrument, programming the instruments in Survey CTO, conducting data quality checks and data analysis, and writing of reports. The RA takes the lead in the communication with the partner and the data collection team.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting developing the instruments for data collection and backchecks, in close coordination with the Principle Investigator.
- Programming the instruments in Survey CTO, following best practices and the most updated features.
- Preparing training materials and supporting the Principle Investigator in conducting enumerator’s trainings and piloting the instruments.
- Managing communications and planned activities with the field data collection team, including management of remote data collection and timelines.
- Coordinating with project partners.
- Monitor the implementation of phone surveys in close coordination with field coordinators.
- Coordinating with the administrative team the logistics required for data collection activities.
- Reporting progress of field activities and troubleshooting challenges to the Principle Investigator on a regular basis.
- Conducting data quality checks (high frequency checks and back checks), data cleaning and data anonymizing across all datasets using STATA.
- Participating in regular calls with the Country Director and the Principle Investigator.
- Demonstrated proficiency in STATA and experience with data management and data cleaning is a must. Proficiency in R is a plus.
- Experience with quantitative research and statistical methods.
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in economics, business management, social sciences, public policy or related fields.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external clients.
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills.
- Experience with Survey CTO strongly preferred.
- Experience managing survey implementation is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with Computer-Assisted Interviewing is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with randomized controlled trials is preferred, but not required.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player.
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English and Filipino.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, Philippines”. Applications require you to include a statement of purpose (cover letter), and CV.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
As an organization, IPA is dedicated to improving the lives of the world's most vulnerable populations through evidence and policy. We also recognize how important it is for our staff to reflect the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. As such, IPA is committed to hiring from a diverse pool of candidates, from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. We know that this makes our work stronger and more responsive to the challenges faced by those we work with and for and we encourage people from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Click here to learn more about IPA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.