Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), is an international non-profit research organization. Based in New Haven, CT, with offices in Washington, D.C. and worldwide, IPA works with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches to solving development problems, to communicate “what works” in development and to scale up successful projects in a variety of fields, including health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
IPA seeks a Research Associate (RA) to lead a project regarding child chronic malnutrition in the Dry Corridor of Nicaragua for a period of 5 months. The RA will be based in Managua, where she/he will conduct a high-quality and rigorous survey. The RA will work closely with the Research Coordinator, Principal Investigator, and staff from the implementing partner, to oversee the implementation of the research study.
The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research, as well as the opportunity to work in close collaboration with high-level policy partners. Key areas of involvement will include: coordinating and collaborating with implementing partners and the PI team, designing survey questionnaires, recruiting, training and managing survey teams, designing and supervising logistics for the field activities, cleaning and analyzing survey data, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, and liaising with key government stakeholders.
- Lead the implementation of the research study
- Manage budgets, timelines and procurement; oversee the project’s finances including tracking all expenses to ensure costs are within project budgets.
- Perform literature reviews
- Develop, test and program questionnaires in SurveyCTO
- Hire, train, and manage enumerators that conduct data collection,
- Oversee data collection activities; measure and enforce adherence to data quality protocols, including auditing enumerators, monitoring data collection, and conducting data quality audits,
- Maintain detailed data collection and project logs; ensure compliance with IPA policies and procedures,
- Develop reports and deliverables for project partner, communicate about field activities when required,
- Manage day-to-day relationships with the implementing partner,
- Regularly communicate updates with the Research Coordinator and Principal Investigators.
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields, (quantitative background preferred). A graduate degree is a plus,
- Strong analytical abilities and quantitative skills; very good knowledge of Stata required (or other similar data analysis software); programming and other technical knowledge a plus,
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred,
- Experience managing field work and data collection strongly preferred,
- Excellent management and organizational skills,
- Must be able to work under pressure, independently and in a team, and meet deadlines; flexibility, self-motivation, and pro-activity highly valued,
- Creativity and intellectual curiosity in experimental methods, ability to find quick and effective solutions to unforeseen circumstances,
- Willingness to travel within Nicaragua,
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in Spanish and English.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, Nicaragua”. Applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. Note that you are able to submit your application without the recommendation letters. However, please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.