Innovations for Poverty Action seeks a qualified Research Associate to manage a study evaluating the impact of a government social protection program in the Dominican Republic in collaboration with senior policymakers. The study is a large-scale randomized control trial that has been in the field for several years. The RA will be the key person on the ground managing the preparation and implementation of the final large-scale survey and leading this high-impact study through to fruition. The RA will be based in Santo Domingo and will work closely with the government partners (office of the Vice President), the PI team (UC Berkeley), the IPA Research Manager, and other IPA country office staff to design and implement a comprehensive endline survey to measure impact of the program.
This position provides an excellent opportunity to gain extensive hands‐on experience in a field setting and to have significant management responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting‐edge development research, as well as the opportunity to work in close collaboration with a high-level government partner. Key areas of involvement will include: coordinating and collaborating with the partner and PI team, designing survey questionnaires, recruiting, training and managing survey monitoring teams, designing and supervising logistics for the field activities, cleaning and analyzing survey data, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, and liaising with key government stakeholders. The work will develop your analytical and management skills and require your full commitment in a challenging environment.
- Working closely with the implementation partner throughout the design and implementation of the study.
- Coordinate research and implementation efforts with all relevant stakeholders.
- Developing and piloting the survey instruments, including programming digital data collection.
- Hiring, training, and managing the field teams that will conduct the data collections.
- Managing all field logistics, procuring products, and getting approvals from local authorities.
- Ensuring all data quality protocols are followed including auditing enumerators and performing daily checks of the incoming data; correcting the errors of staff iteratively to ensure the data is of the highest quality.
- Managing the data from collection at the household to delivery of a final, cleaned dataset.
- Managing the budget including tracking all expenses to ensure costs are within project funds.
- Managing the project budget and field expenses.
- A Bachelor’s or Master´s degree in economics, public policy, international development, or related fields;
- At least 3 years of work experience, preferably in a research setting and data analysis;
- Experience with data collection in Latin America strongly preferred;
- Ability to explain technical information in a clear, precise and actionable manner to different audiences (such as academic researchers, government partners and study participants);
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials;
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail; ability to work independently;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and English, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders;
- Strong quantitative skills and very good knowledge of Stata required; programming and other technical knowledge a strong plus;
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with partner organizations;
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials;
- Interest in conducting fieldwork in poor urban slums;
- Experience living in Latin America strongly preferred; and
- Willingness to frequently travel within Dominican Republic.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, Dominican Republic”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.