PA is looking for a Research Associate (RA) to be based in the US. The RA will provide direct research support to IPA projects in Kenya (under the Principal Investigator). The RA will work closely with research staff on the ground in Kenya and the Principal Investigator to coordinate activities and ensure that all activities are being completed on time and to a high level of quality.
- On the research side, the RA will be involved in cleaning and analysis of the data coming in from the field. All of the data comes from field experiments that are running in Kenya. Each project involves the collection of multiple rounds of survey data from large samples of households and/or firms (ranging from 2,000-9,000 households and/or firms per project). These data will need to be cleaned which involves: (i) ensuring that the questionnaire patterns were preserved, (ii) outliers in the data are flagged and checked, (iii) identifiers are correct and correctly matched over time, (iv) data across the various sections of the survey are consistent. On the analysis side, the RA should be able to conduct complex regression analyses. The final research product will be journal articles.
- The RA will also manage the grants on these existing projects and be responsible for ensuring that all grant reports are submitted in a timely manner. All the research projects that the RA will be managing also need regular approvals from the relevant university and local Institutional Review Boards – this will be among the responsibilities of the RA.
The RA will be working on data from the baseline survey and the first follow up survey for a large Universal Basic Income experiment that is currently running in Kenya (a detailed project description is available at https://www.poverty-action.org/study/effects-universal-basic-income-kenya).
- For the data aspect of the job, the candidate must have had some experience with programming in an economics context.
- Have prior experience with at least STATA (and potentially with MATLAB or another similar programming language).
- Have the equivalent of Masters level coursework in statistics, microeconomics and econometrics.
- Experience working with large and complex survey data Strongly preferable.
In addition, the ideal candidate would have experience in a developing country, be interested in development and have an outstanding academic record.
To apply click here
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.