Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is recruiting a Research Associate to join our Bangladesh team on a project to establish financial profiles of the crisis-affected individuals in Cox’s Bazar. Lead by Principal Investigator Reshmaan Hussam of Harvard Business School, IPA Bangladesh will be looking to determine how best to target refugees for support and financial inclusion. Research questions of interest include: To what extent are these communities comfortable with financial services? What constraints are present? Which financial tools are of interest to refugees, and how would they utilize them? The project also intends to consider how vulnerable members of the population (particularly women and their roles as head of household) are affected by new financial tool availability. Finally, we will seek to understand how the needs of host communities differ from those of displaced populations, and how the introduction of these tools might affect the way these two groups interact.
This position provides an excellent opportunity to gain extensive hands‐on experience in a field setting and to have significant management responsibility in an organization undertaking cutting‐edge development research. Many opportunities will arise to work in close collaboration with key stakeholders and develop one’s understanding of the evaluation sector. Critical areas of involvement will include: coordinating and collaborating with the partner and PI team; designing survey questionnaires; recruiting, training, and managing survey monitoring teams; designing and supervising logistics for the field activities; cleaning and analyzing survey data; assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos; as well as liaising with key project stakeholders. Over the course of this project, the chosen candidate will be able to refine his/her understanding of evaluation methodology, while developing the strong quantitative and qualitative skills necessary to pursue further research.
We encourage applications from candidates willing to engage with this challenging and deeply rewarding opportunity.
- Contributing to the design of field experiments, employing knowledge from extensive qualitative work (focus groups, individual interviews, piloting) in the field.
- Managing day-to-day research activities, from planning to implementation, and monitoring quality. This includes training and supervising both field-based and data operations teams.
- Documenting all activities related to the project.
- Refining survey questionnaires and programming them on SurveyCTO.
- Supervising data collection and data-entry processes, while ensuring the quality of the data at both stages.
- Assisting in data cleaning and preliminary data analysis; ensuring access to all data for faculty researchers and/or supervisors.
- Providing timely updates and responses to partner organizations, as well as participating in meetings with key stakeholders.
- Maintaining accurate records of interviews, while safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary.
- Preparing progress and results reports to PIs, research partners, and funding agencies in a timely manner.
- Monitoring project expenditures and timeline.
- Ensuring that all team members follow necessary research protocols and procedures.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, or other quantitative social science disciplines (Master’s degree preferred).
- Quantitative Skills: Strong technical understanding of economics and econometrics required. Demonstrated proficiency in Stata/R, SurveyCTO, and experience with data management, data cleaning, and regression analysis.
- A minimum of 1-year of work experience is preferred. Experience in managing field staff in developing countries strongly is preferred.
- Excellent management and organizational skills: the ability to successfully complete assigned tasks and meet specific deadlines.
- Communication Skills: Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills are required.
- Language: English fluency required; Bengali or Chittagonian a plus
- Bangladeshi nationals are strongly encouraged to apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, Cox's Bazar”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.