Innovations for Poverty Action Bangladesh (IPA-B) seeks to appoint a Research Associate to support the implementation of a longitudinal study in Southern Bangladesh. The goal of the project is to build an evidence base on how local economies respond to an influx of forcibly displaced migrants. The study will collect a detailed panel dataset of social, economic, and health outcomes from 5,000 households representative of Cox’s Bazar, the primary destination for many waves of refugees, including the most recent. The Research Associate will join a suite of projects led by Yale University Professor of Economics Mushfiq Mobarak, as well as other scholars doing empirical research at top-tier academic and policy institutions.
The successful candidate will work closely with lead academics and researchers from Yale University, the Gender and Adolescence: Global Evidence initiative, and the World Bank on all activities, thus paving the way for future careers in academic, private-sector, or public-sector roles.
We are looking for a minimum commitment period of two years for this position with a possibility for a longer-term position for exceptional candidates. The candidate will be primarily based in Dhaka, with travel to Cox’s Bazar to oversee fieldwork.
- Managing day-to-day research activities, from planning to implementation, and monitoring quality. This includes training, and supervising both field-based and data operations teams
- Documenting all activities related to the project
- Refining survey questionnaires and programming them on SurveyCTO
- Supervising data collection and data-entry processes, and ensuring good quality of the data at both stages
- Assisting in data cleaning and preliminary analysis and ensuring ready access to all data for faculty researchers and/or supervisors
- Providing timely updates and responses to partner organizations, and participating in meetings with key stakeholders
- Maintaining accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary
- Preparing progress and results reports to PIs, research partners, and funding agencies, and sharing them timely
- Monitoring project expenditures and timeline
- Ensuring that all team members follow necessary protocols and procedures
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, or other quantitative social science disciplines (Master’s degree preferred)
- Quantitative Skills: Strong technical understanding of economics and econometrics required. Demonstrated proficiency in Stata/R and SurveyCTO, and experience with data management, data cleaning, and regression analysis
- A minimum of 1-year of work experience is required. Experience managing field staff in developing countries strongly preferred
- Excellent management and organizational skills; ability to successfully completing assigned tasks and meeting deadlines, required
- Communication Skills: Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills are required
- Language: English fluency required; Chittagonian a plus
- Bangladeshi nationals are strongly encouraged to apply
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, Cox’s Bazar Panel Survey”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.