Innovations for Poverty Action seeks exceptional candidates to appoint a Research Associate to work on a study on the consumer credit market in Mexico.
The research team - led by PIs Dean Karlan (Northwestern), Sean Higgins (Northwestern), Xavi Giné (World Bank) and Jonathan Zinman (Dartmouth) - will collaborate with the Bank of Mexico to study topics such as price dispersion, competition, banks’ behavior, and customers’ decision-making process. One key goal of the project is to inform the design of new tools and public policies.
- Managing day-to-day relations with project’s key stakeholders and ensuring relevant and timely updates
- Managing research activities, from planning to implementation, and monitoring quality.
- Work on the analysis of large administrative datasets using R
- Prepare, pilot and launch data collection instruments
- Assist in in-depth interviews
- Programming and statistical analyses of the data
- Providing the PIs and Research Manager with outputs in real time.
- Creating outputs for summary reports and research papers.
This position is a great opportunity to obtain hands-on research experience, with direct involvement in data analysis and research design, on a project with a strong policy impact.
- 1-3 years experience working with quantitative data, including extensive experience cleaning, managing, and analyzing large data sets.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields;
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Fluency in English with strong communication skills; good Spanish knowledge is a plus
- High level of R knowledge
- Working knowledge/familiarity with Stata a plus
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
- Experience working with financial data a plus
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, Consumer Credit Market”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 830 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.