Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is seeking to hire a qualified Research Associate for 12 months based in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, to support a research project related to access to credit. This position is contingent upon project approval and donor funding.
The RA will work closely with the PIs, the Research Manager and other IPA country office staff. The project is spread across the country, so candidates should be prepared for extensive travel to supervise and monitor data collection process. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The work will stretch your analytical, inter-personal and management skills and will require your full commitment in a challenging environment.
- Coordinate effectively with Country Director, Research Manager, and Principle Investigators;
- Ensuring adherence to data quality protocols; including overseeing staff, monitoring data collection, conducting data quality audits, and ensuring data security;
- Ensure that all necessary research permit and human subjects approvals are in place;
- Hiring, training and managing project staff;
- Cleaning data and assisting in econometric analysis;
- Maintain compliance with all IPA policies and procedures;
- Establishing and managing strong relationships with partners; and
- Supporting writing progress reports.
- A Bachelor’s or Master´s degree in economics, public policy, international development, or related fields;
- At least 3 years of work experience, preferably in a research setting and data analysis;
- Experience with data collection in Latin America strongly preferred;
- Ability to explain technical information in a clear, precise and actionable manner to different audiences (such as academic researchers, government partners and study participants);
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail; ability to work independently;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and English, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders;
- Strong quantitative skills and very good knowledge of Stata required; programming and other technical knowledge a strong plus;
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with partner organizations;
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials;
- Experience living in Latin America strongly preferred; and
- Willingness to frequently travel within Dominican Republic.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, Access to Credit”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy non-profit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 400 leading academics to conduct over 600 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.