IPA Philippines is looking to hire a Research Associate (RA) to support technical assistance and data work with government agencies in the Philippines. The project offers the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in working together with government partners to build their capacity and skills in leveraging administrative data to guide policymaking.
The Research Associate supports the project team and provides technical support to relevant offices of our government partners. To build in-house capacity and equip them with the tools and methods to evaluate their data, the RA will be embedded at relevant government offices and provide direct technical assistance with government staff and help analyze monitoring data of financial payments of select government cash transfer programs. The RA also plays an important role in planning and delivering monitoring and evaluation workshops for the government staff.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting preparations for hosting a learning agenda workshop and several capacity building workshops, including preparing and delivering presentations, and organizing group activities during the workshops.
- Be embedded at the government agency for at least twice a week to provide technical support in developing data collection tools, guidelines, and data collection plan to implement regular monitoring of the digital financial payments of cash transfers program rollout.
- Develop a data monitoring system to support partners’ technical capacity to analyze administrative data and run evaluations.
- Support government partners in improving beneficiary database(s).
- Conduct workshops and capacity building activities on M&E.
- Designing survey instruments and programming surveys in SurveyCTO.
- Recruiting, training, and managing survey teams to ensure quality and timely completion of surveys.
- Overseeing daily data collection activities and ensuring adherence to data quality protocols, including data quality audits and frequency checks.
- Cleaning survey data and conducting preliminary analysis of survey responses.
- Supporting data analysis of financial payments of government’s regular cash transfer programs, and drafting a reading deck.
- Participating in regular calls with the Research Manager, Country Director and IPA Financial Inclusion Program team.
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in economics, business management, social sciences, public policy or related fields.
- Demonstrated proficiency in STATA and Microsoft Office for data management and visualization.
- Relevant experience with data management and managing complex data flows is strongly preferred.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office for word processing, spreadsheet management, and presentation development.
- Experience working in monitoring and evaluation strongly is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in working on digital financial inclusion or social protection programs is preferred, but not required.
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external clients.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player.
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English and Filipino.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within the deadlines, and within the parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate”. Applications require you to include a statement of purpose (cover letter), and CV.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
As an organization, IPA is dedicated to improving the lives of the world's most vulnerable populations through evidence and policy. We also recognize how important it is for our staff to reflect the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. As such, IPA is committed to hiring from a diverse pool of candidates, from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. We know that this makes our work stronger and more responsive to the challenges faced by those we work with and for and we encourage people from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Click here to learn more about IPA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.