Innovations for Poverty Action Bangladesh (IPA-B) is looking for a Research Associate to be hired immediately. This research project adopts a citizen science approach and collect high-frequency real-time crowdsourced data, gathered by youth volunteers, to detect agents’ overcharging behavior. Additionally, mystery shoppers are employed to verify reliability and accuracy. This research aims to test the efficacy of information campaigns against overcharging using aggregate agent ratings from the crowdsource app and to generate evidence on whether the citizen science approach can help address overcharging and serve as a departure point to scale-up a randomized study.
The successful candidate will work closely with leading academics and researchers, thus paving the way for future careers in academic, private-sector, or public-sector roles. We are looking for a minimum commitment period of one year for this position with a possibility for a longer-term position for exceptional candidates. The candidate will be primarily based in Dhaka, with travel outside Dhaka as necessary.
- Managing day-to-day research activities, from planning to implementation, and monitoring quality. This includes training, and supervising both field-based and data operations teams and making regular field visits when needed.
- Documenting all activities related to the project
- Refining survey questionnaires
- Supervising data collection and data-entry processes and conducting data validation checks to ensure good quality of the data.
- Assisting in data cleaning and preliminary analysis and ensuring ready access to all data for faculty researchers and/or supervisors
- Communicating regularly with PIs regarding progress of project
- Communicating regularly with partner organizations, providing timely updates and responses, and participating in meetings with key stakeholders
- Maintaining accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary
- Preparing progress and results reports to PIs, research partners, and funding agencies, and sharing them timely
- Monitoring project expenditures and timeline
- Ensuring that all team members follow necessary protocols and procedures
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in data science, computer science, applied statistics, economics, public policy, or other quantitative social science disciplines (Master’s degree preferred)
- Quantitative Skills: Strong technical understanding of economics and econometrics highly desirable. Understanding of data science and crowdsourcing preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Stata/R, and experience with data management, data cleaning, and regression analysis
- A minimum of 1-year of relevant work experience is desirable although not required. Experience managing field staff in developing countries strongly preferred
- Excellent management and organizational skills; ability to successfully completing assigned tasks and meeting deadlines, required
- Communication Skills: Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills are required
- Language: English and Bangla fluency required
- Bangladeshi nationals are strongly encouraged to apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, Commission and Account Opening Overcharging”. Most applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
As an organization, IPA is dedicated to improving the lives of the world's most vulnerable populations through evidence and policy. We also recognize how important it is for our staff to reflect the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. As such, IPA is committed to hiring from a diverse pool of candidates, from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. We know that this makes our work stronger and more responsive to the challenges faced by those we work with and for and we encourage people from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Click here to learn more about IPA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.