Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks a qualified Research Analyst based in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic to support the office’s research projects. Our projects bring together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine solutions to improve the lives of the world’s poor. The Analyst will work closely with the Research Associates team on the design and implementation of research studies. This position is contingent upon project approval and donor funding.
This position provides an excellent opportunity to gain extensive hands‐on field research experience and significant management responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting‐edge development research. Key areas of involvement will include coordinating and collaborating with the Research Associates and Research Manager, designing survey questionnaires, recruiting, training, and managing survey teams, cleaning and analyzing survey data, and assisting in the writing of project reports and other research documents. The work will develop your analytical and management skills and require your full commitment in a challenging environment.
IMPORTANT: This is an entry-level position, it is not required to submit recommendation letters to apply, these will be required later in the process.
- Monitor the implementation of fieldwork.
- Ensure compliance with the data quality protocol.
- Work with PIs, IPA staff, and other partners to analyze collected and available data and interpret the findings.
- Support the development of reports and presentations for different audiences in English and Spanish.
- Support in the design of survey questionnaires.
- Support the literature review and other research tasks for research projects.
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, international development, or related fields. Students from these disciplines, on their last courses of undergrad, are welcomed to apply.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail; ability to work independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and English, including the ability to effectively communicate.
- Quantitative skills and knowledge of Stata required; programming and other technical knowledge are a strong plus.
- Capability to manage multiple tasks efficiently.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Ability to work independently and carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
Knowledge and Interests
- Interest in academic research.
- Knowledge and interest in experimental and quasi-experimental impact evaluation methodologies as well as data collection techniques and data analysis methodologies.
- Knowledge of using Stata, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and English, and ability to present information in an insightful and structured manner.
- Flexibility: Ability to adapt to change, manage uncertainty and ambiguity, and willingness to learn.
- Time management: Ability to plan objectives, prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work efficiently.
- Teamwork: Ability to work with others respectfully, under efficient collaboration schemes, appreciating diversity, accepting, and applying feedback, and being reliable regarding due dates and task completion.
- Other: Attention to detail, high organization, and ability to work independently and carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Analyst, Dominican Republic”. Applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. Note that you are able to submit your application without the recommendation letters. However, please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 830 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.