Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks a qualified Qualitative Research Analyst based in Bogotá, Colombia, to support the office’s research projects. Our projects bring together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine solutions to improve the lives of the world’s poor. The Analyst will work closely with the Research Associates team on the design and implementation of research studies. This position is contingent upon project approval and donor funding.
This position provides an excellent opportunity to gain extensive hands‐on field research experience and significant management responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting‐edge development research. Key areas of involvement will include coordinating and collaborating with the Research Associates and Research Manager: designing interviews/focus-groups/workshops questionnaires, recruiting field staff and research participants, doing literature reviews, collecting and analyzing qualitative data and assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos. The work will develop your analytical and management skills and require your full commitment in a challenging environment. IMPORTANT: This is an entry level position, it is not required to submit recommendation letters to apply, these will be required later in the process.
- Provide assistance with setting up and carrying out focus group discussions or interviews in several municipalities in Colombia;
- Contribute to the brainstorming and planning on research projects;
- Monitor the implementation of fieldwork;
- Maintain compliance with the data quality protocol design and ensuring their compliance;
- Work with PIs, IPA staff in Colombia and the United States to analyze the data and interpret the findings;
- Support the development of reports and presentations for different audiences in English and Spanish;
- Contribute to the interviews/focus groups/workshops questionnaires design;
- Contribute to the literature review for research projects;
- Facilitate several tasks related to transcription and coding of qualitative data and ensuring their quality;
- Provide inputs to the qualitative research knowledge management processes;
- Assistance with local policy mapping of vulnerable populations initiatives;
- Contact and carrying out interviews with local government officials, municipal managers, bureaucrats, NGO workers, and other decision makers;
- A Bachelor’s degree in public policy, social sciences, or related fields;
- At least 6 months of work experience, preferably in a research setting and qualitative data analysis; experience in the consultancy sector will be considered as a strong plus;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and English, including the ability to effectively communicate research results;
- Demonstrated ability to understand and applying instruments to collect qualitative data;
- In-deep understanding of qualitative research paradigm;
- Experience in performing any or all of the following functions: literature reviews, transcripts, coding, and qualitative results reporting;
- Attention to detail in all tasks and focus on meeting objectives;
- High willingness to learn and flexibility to adapt to the methodologies that have been designed in IPA
- Advanced English skills;
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail; ability to work independently;
- Ability to use Excel, or similar data analysis software;
Preferred additional qualifications
- Demonstrated work experience in MEL methodologies;
- Familiarity with Qualitative data analysis methods and software;
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Analyst, Colombia”. Applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. Note that you are able to submit your application without the recommendation letters. However, please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 830 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.