Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks a qualified Research Associate based in Bogotá, Colombia, to support the office’s research projects. Our projects bring together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine solutions to improve the lives of the world’s poor. The Analyst will work closely with the Research Associates team on the design and implementation of research studies. This position is contingent upon project approval and donor funding.
This position provides an excellent opportunity to gain extensive hands‐on field research experience and significant management responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting‐edge development research. Key areas of involvement will include: coordinating and collaborating with the Research Associates and Research Manager, designing survey questionnaires, recruiting, training and managing survey teams, cleaning and analyzing survey and administrative data, and assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos. The work will develop your analytical and management skills and require your full commitment in a challenging environment.
- Monitor the implementation of field work;
- Ensure compliance with the data quality protocol;
- Work with PIs, IPA staff in Colombia and the United States to analyze the data and interpret the findings;
- Support the development of reports and presentations for different audiences in English and Spanish;
- Support in the design of survey questionnaires;
- Support the literature review for research projects.
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, international development, or related fields;
- At least 6 months of work experience, preferably in a research setting and data analysis;
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail; ability to work independently;
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and English, including ability to effectively communicate;
- Strong quantitative skills and very good knowledge of Stata required; programming and other technical knowledge a strong plus;
- Willingness to frequently travel within Colombia;
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with partner organizations;
- Capability to manage multiple tasks efficiently;
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service;
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Analyst, Colombia”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.