The Regional Technical Manager is an expert in survey programming, data management, and data analysis, whose primary objective is delivering high quality technical products across projects and countries in the East Africa region. The Regional Technical Manager will also supervise, and build the capacity of, a Uganda-based team of regional technical specialists. This position is part of a global network reporting to IPA’s Global Research and Data Support (GRDS) team based in New York City. The Regional Technical Manager’s role will include, but not be limited to, the following activities:
- Partnering with project teams to deliver high-quality technical products (40%)
- The Regional Technical Manager will work directly with research project teams to code high-quality technical deliverables, such as complex digital surveys, data flow and data quality control systems, advanced statistical analysis, or technical reports.
- The Regional Technical Specialist will work mainly in SurveyCTO and Stata.
- Supervising a team of regional technical specialists (40%)
- The Regional Technical Manager will oversee a small team of regional technical specialists based in Uganda.
- This will include day-to-day management, as well as code reviews, troubleshooting support, and capacity building.
- Contributing to technical resource development (10%)
- The Regional Technical Manager will work with the Global Research & Data Support network on technical resource development.
- This might include piloting or debugging new technical tools (such as Stata-based data analysis tools), writing documentation, networking with other regional technical teams, or even developing new technical tools for regional and global research staff.
- Supporting other research-related activities as necessary (10%)
- The Regional Technical Manager may be asked to troubleshoot technical products, write documentation, or assist with strategic projects and initiatives.
- The Regional Technical Manager will perform any related duties assigned by the Associate Director.
Note that this position requires willingness to travel regionally throughout East Africa (and potentially internationally) up to 40% of the time. You can see a list of IPA’s worldwide offices at https://www.poverty-action.org/research.
- Undergraduate degree in economics, statistics, computer science, engineering, or related fields; master’s degree preferred
- Three or more years of relevant work experience, such as programming complex surveys, performing advanced statistical analysis, or managing a highly technical monitoring and evaluation project; additional management experience preferred
- Demonstrated advanced experience with data collection platforms and technologies; ODK/SurveyCTO experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated advanced statistical programming and data management skills; Stata experience strongly preferred
- Experience living or working in East Africa
- Experience supervising field or technical teams
- Experience conducting field research in developing countries
- Experience training staff or developing training content
- Experience working with GIS data / maps
- Experience working with academic researchers, especially economists
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Regional Technical Coordinator/Manager, Uganda”. Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.