Please Note: All IPA Volunteerships are unpaid.
Globally, most people living in poverty are in fragile states, yet rigorous evidence on how to build peace and stability in conflict and crisis-affected contexts is still limited. IPA established the Peace and Recovery Sector Program (P&R) to generate needed insights and innovation to address this problem.
P&R develops, implements, and funds groundbreaking research on programs that reduce violence, build peace, and support recovery from conflict or disasters. P&R additionally supports the translating of this research into policy and practice through the dissemination of existing randomized evaluation results and the formation of partnerships with implementing organizations and policymakers in the field.
The Summer 2018 Peace & Recovery Student Volunteer will have the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge peace and recovery research. They will be mentored by IPA’s Peace & Recovery team, learn about the state of the research in the field, and contribute to the program’s growth.
Learning opportunities are flexible depending on the candidate’s skills, interests, education, and previous experience. Examples of projects this position may support include the following:
- Management of the Peace & Recovery Competitive Fund, including learning opportunities related to grant compliance and reporting
- Literature reviews on the state of research in the field, and other secondary research support
- Identification of potential researchers or implementing partners
- Fundraising and policy outreach activities
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in political science, peace and conflict, international affairs, public policy, economics, or a related field
- Understanding of the peace and conflict literature and policy environment desired
- Ability to closely read, understand, and succinctly summarize rigorous social science research
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
1) Send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com
- In the email body: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
- Attachments: Please attach your resume and cover letter.
- In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: IPA Peace & Recovery Program – Student Volunteer Summer 2019
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.