Innovations for Poverty Action’s Right-Fit Evidence (RFE) Unit is seeking a M&E Associate to join our growing Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) advisory practice. The RFE Unit is a global team at IPA which advises NGOs, social businesses, funders and governments on how to develop and implement adaptive and cost-effective M&E systems. The M&E Associate will help develop and work on M&E advisory engagements across our country offices and program sectors based on need and areas of interest. The position is based in New York, with roughly 30-40% travel to various IPA country offices. The position will report to the Senior M&E Engagement Manager in New York.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a global research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. As its core business, IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. IPA has conducted hundreds of randomized evaluations across sectors, learning both whether programs work, and how they can work better.
Complementing this core business, the Right-Fit Evidence Unit at IPA is a new effort aimed at helping organizations build strong and tailored Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning systems, which balance the need for information on impact with operational data to support management decisions. In close collaboration with IPA’s sector programs and country office teams worldwide, the unit provides consulting and direct services to implementers, donors, and governments, with the goal of helping them figure out what reliable data and evidence to gather, how to do it in a cost-effective way, and how to make the promise of data-informed programmatic decisions a reality.
The M&E Associate will have the unique opportunity to take part in developing the core approaches and methodologies of the RFE Unit as it grows, setting the foundation for its ambitious growth and influence agenda within the development sector. While relevant experience is a plus, this entry-level role is also suitable for a recent college graduate with very strong academic credentials.
- Assist in developing new RFE engagements, including designing methodologies, writing proposals, and conducting scoping visits, in collaboration with country teams and sector program experts
- Provide analytical, research, and writing support to the country offices that are delivering RFE engagements on an as-needs basis (currently Cote d’Ivoire, Uganda, Kenya, Ghana and the Philippines)
- Participate in the refinement, standardization and documentation of core methodologies, tools and training materials that are being developed by the RFE team, in order to eventually create publicly accessible resources for the development sector to use
- Conduct discrete analytical and research projects on the cutting edge of M&E practice
- Conduct market research and landscape analysis to allow IPA to strategically position the RFE offering
- Assist with facilitation, logistical preparation, and documentation of M&E workshops to develop M&E plans in line with RFE principles
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- Superior analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Familiarity with statistics and data analysis (including strong Excel skills)
- Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility and willingness to learn.
- Passion for making data-driven decision making a reality in the development sector.
Preferred additional qualifications
- 0-4 years of relevant work experience, including experience in M&E (public sector) or organizational performance/R&D/operational research (private sector); or experience in management consulting or other professional services
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- Experience working in developing countries
- Familiarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the core tools of M&E (both quantitative and qualitative research methods)
- Familiarity with SurveyCTO, Open Data Kit or similar survey software
- Ability to use Stata, R or similar statistical software
To apply click here. Please submit a resume/CV, cover letter, and transcript through the online application for your application to be considered complete.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.