Please Note: All IPA Volunteerships are unpaid.
Modern Man Challenge, a project by the Intimate Partner Violence Initiative (Student Volunteer)
The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research in the field of intimate partner violence (IPV) reduction. The Modern Man Challenge project is supported by Innovations for Poverty’s IPV Initiative and incorporates cross sector components to reduce IPV through a light-touch, interactive SMS project. The selected candidate will work in several communities in Monrovia, Liberia and report to the Senior Program Associate. Main tasks will include the following:
- Assist in survey design and programming; using/learning skip logic, indexing, etc. in SurveyCTO forms.
- Assist in data management and data cleaning; using/learning IPA-standard STATA protocols and coding practices to generate high-quality dofiles and other relevant documents.
- Assist in training of field teams, including sensitive research topics such as childhood experiences in violence, IPV-related questions, and sexual histories.
- Assist in managing field team logistics and monitoring, including field work and being embedded in enumerator field teams.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
- A Bachelor's degree (completed) in Public Health, Economics, Social sciences, Public policy, or a related field
- Good command of STATA (skills will be tested) and general strong quantitative skills
- Comfort and proficiency managing gender-related projects with sensitive components
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
- Familiarity with impact evaluation methodologies, particularly with randomized controlled trials
- A Master’s degree (completed or enrolled) in Gender Studies/Policy, Public Health, Economics, Public Policy, International Development, or related field
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- History of working on IPV and/or other gender-related projects
- Experience working or living in developing countries, particularly in West Africa
1) Send a resume and a cover letter to Ellen Bates-Jefferys at firstname.lastname@example.org
In the email body: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
Attachments: Please attach your resume and cover letter.
In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: MMC Student Volunteer
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.