Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a global research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. As its core business, IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. IPA has conducted hundreds of randomized evaluations across sectors, learning both whether programs work, and how they can work better.
IPA is seeking a Consumer Protection Embedded Lab Manager to support the Consumer Protection Research Initiative in Nigeria, which partners with providers, regulators and civil society to conduct research which develops the next generation of solutions for digital financial services in emerging markets. https://www.poverty-action.org/program-area/financial-inclusion/consumer-protection-initiative
The project focuses on the following consumer protection priorities:
- Fraud affecting financial consumers such as loss of money, excessive charges or unauthorized account access.
- Access and use of complaints channels to resolve problems when they arise in financial services.
- Product information and its role in facilitating consumer choice.
- Gender issues related to consumer protection in financial services.
IPA is collaborating with a Nigerian financial sector regulator on the consumer protection research initiative. Responding to demand, IPA is developing an embedded evidence lab with the regulator, putting a strong focus on equipping them to regularly use evidence to improve their decision-making, policies, and programs. The Lab will follow the methodologies developed by IPA’s Embedded Labs program, https://www.poverty-action.org/advisory/embedded-labs, adapted to the local context and research needs. This position will lead and manage these activities, as well as the broader consumer protection research initiative in Nigeria. The position holder will report directly to the IPA Nigeria Country Director, with dotted line reporting to the Director of the Consumer Protection Research Initiative.
The Manager will perform a variety of tasks related to leveraging existing data and developing new research projects to drive greater use of evidence within the regulator. For example, the Manager may conduct activities including but not limited to:
- Mapping the data needs of specific departments within the regulator against the existing data available, complemented with an assessment of its quality
- Assessing existing datasets and indicators according to criteria of relevance, objectivity, and reliability
- Identifying opportunities to run low cost “pilots” of new approaches to data collection and analysis to generate actionable information and analysis
- Developing and executing opportunities to leverage administrative data for analysis to inform key programs and decisions
- Developing and executing “learning-by-doing” capacity building projects with staff of the regulator
- Developing opportunities to leverage administrative data for research; connecting local and international researchers to pursue these openings
- Producing policy reports and briefs based on key insights generated from lab activities
- Developing a policy-driven research agenda for the lab and facilitating the development of research projects to respond to the agenda
- Facilitating events to disseminate lessons learned from implementation of lab activities
- Working with the regulator to apply analysis and learnings from the lab’s data and evidence to its decisions, policies, programs, and interventions, ensuring that the regulator is using evidence in policymaking in a complete feedback loop
Broader Consumer Protection Research Support
- Support the consumer protection research team to prepare and deliver presentations, briefings and other content to current and potential research partners.
- Coordinate the research project development process across all phases: Project design, partnership agreements, budgeting and procurement, implementation and dissemination.
- Monitor project implementation to ensure quality control and adherence to the research specifications agreed upon, including supervision of research teams during data collection to ensure high quality and strict adherence to research design.
- Support project relationships with local stakeholders, including government authorities, multilateral and bilateral partners, and private sector firms to facilitate the successful implementation of the research projects.
- Contribute to the delivery of high-quality policy and research outputs and activities. These include internal and external communications on the progress and outcomes of the research projects.
- Ensure project deliverables, such as reports and financial statements, are submitted on time.
- Master’s degree in Economics, social sciences, or a related field.
- 5 – 8 years of work experience in research or relevant private or public sector roles
- Prior knowledge of digital finance or consumer protection
- Experience in the design and management of randomized controlled trials or microeconomic research is a plus
- Experience interacting with partners, government officials and other key stakeholders
- Excellent quantitative skills and ability to manage large data analysis projects
- Excellent time management and organizations skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary assistance to internal/external stakeholders
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Manager, Consumer Protection Embedded Lab Nigeria”. Applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. Note that you are able to submit your application without the recommendation letters. However, please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 830 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.