Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA designs, rigorously evaluates, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world’s poor. In the 18 years since its founding, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 830 evaluations in 52 countries.
The Digital Designer, Communications will play a key role in supporting and growing IPA’s external communications via digital channels, particularly on the IPA website, publications, and mass external emails. The person in this role will design and update content aimed at engaging policymakers, funders, partners, researchers, and other members of IPA’s external audience. This individual must possess excellent design, web, and collaboration skills.
As a member of IPA's Policy & External Relations Team, the Digital Designer, Communications will liaise closely with the organization's program area and country office teams to produce exceptional external content and materials.
- Liaise with IPA's program area, policy, and country office teams to manage external communications activities and requests and “translate” IPA’s research effectively into visuals
- Design and update graphics (e.g., illustrations, icons, and other visualizations) and templates for external materials, including but not limited to webpages, email blasts, policy briefs, brochures, event materials, and presentations, ensuring a consistent and polished IPA brand across all materials
- Support the Communications Manager in managing/administering the IPA website, including making updates and improvements to the website design, structure, and content
- In particular, support IPA’s upcoming website redesign + rebranding project, including digital design, web design and development, and overall strategic and creative direction
- Support the Policy & External Relations team in maintaining and developing IPA brand resources and content, including the IPA photo and media library and the acquisition of new photography
- Provide timely and superior service to staff and external stakeholders
- Assist with the overall execution of IPA’s external research and policy communications strategy
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in graphic design, web design/web development, communications, marketing, social sciences, or a similar field
- At least 1-3 years of professional experience, including professional digital design experience
- Experience using Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop and ability to master quickly
- Experience administering a website (e.g., Drupal, WordPress, Squarespace, or other CMS)
- Experience with HTML/CSS and email design (e.g., MailChimp, Constant Contact, Marketing Cloud, Pardot, or another email platform)
- Excellent desktop publishing skills and eye for good design and presentation
- Demonstrated understanding of typography systems and graphic design/layout design principles
- Close attention to detail and accuracy
- Resourcefulness and ability to problem-solve when faced with technical errors or design challenges
- Ability to reliably work independently under tight deadlines, juggling multiple tasks for different organizational clients, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service
- Good sense of humor
- Advanced knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Excellent writing and copy-editing skills
- Familiarity with Salesforce and/or other CRMs is a plus
- Experience with data visualization software (e.g., Tableau, D3) and designing infographics, illustrations, and charts is a plus
- Interest in and knowledge of international development, economics, or social policy
- Experience with communications efforts targeted to domestic and international audiences
To apply click here.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 830 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.