Please note: IPA Volunteerships are unpaid.
IPA seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Student Volunteer in San José, Costa Rica.
Increasingly, programming skills, and computational thinking more broadly, are important learning objectives for all ages. Though not yet universal, many countries offer programming curriculum to some extent – although this scenario is less common for preschool. In theory, this approach should help young students improve their learning of mathematics; as they learn to apply conditional and logical operators to make sequences and events. However, the introduction of programming components in the curriculum of preschool, particularly, has not yet been rigorously tested.
This project aims at filling this knowledge niche by evaluating the introduction of a programming component in the preschool curriculum in Costa Rica. It seeks to generate evidence regarding the effectiveness of this model on the academic achievement of preschool students.
The Student Volunteer will work closely with the Research Associate to:
- Assist in survey design and programming
- Assist in data management and data cleaning
- Assist in training of field teams
- Assist in monitoring and supervising field team
- Perform other tasks assigned by the supervisor
- Bachelor's degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related field
- Self-starter, resourceful and detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies
- Ability to understand and consistently work towards achieving the highest quality data analysis and documenting steps taken
- Eager to learn, and gain experience in a fast-paced organization
- Strong oral and written Spanish communications skills
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials is a plus.
- Familiarity in Latin America is a plus.
- Prior knowledge of quantitative data collection instruments and tools is a plus.
- Prior knowledge of quantitative data analysis packages is a plus.
1) Send a resume and a cover letter to Hugo Salas Rodriguez at email@example.com
- In the email body: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
- Attachments: Please attach your resume and cover letter.
- In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: IPA Costa Rica – Student Volunteer
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy non-profit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 400 leading academics to conduct over 600 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.