IPA seeks a qualified and highly motivated applicant for the position of research student volunteer with IPA LAC to support a project in rural Guatemala.
The project seeks to understand whether building privacy into a phone survey by adopting a low-cost and scalable protocol increases the likelihood of truthful reporting of women’s agency by rural women in an informal agricultural setting. Furthermore, the survey experiment proposed aims to test the effect on female entrepreneurship and agency of an intervention providing women farmers with information on new market opportunities for their agricultural products.
The student volunteer will work closely with the Research Associate to:
- Assist in project data management and cleaning
- Assist in project data analysis to improve the identification and coding of responses by telephone dialing using Python
- Assist in report development
- Perform other tasks assigned by the supervisor
- Degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or a related field
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Ability to understand and consistently work towards achieving the highest quality data analysis and documenting steps taken
- Eager to learn, and gain experience in a fast-paced organization
- Familiarity with Latin America is a plus.
- Prior knowledge of quantitative data analysis packages is a plus (ideally Stata, Python or R).
- Prior knowledge of Python (required)
- English and Spanish skills is a plus
1) Send a resume and a cover letter to Kelly Montaño (email@example.com)
- In the email body: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
- Attachments: Please attach your resume and cover letter.
- In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: IPA LAC – Student Volunteer Codewords
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
As an organization, IPA is dedicated to improving the lives of the world's most vulnerable populations through evidence and policy. We also recognize how important it is for our staff to reflect the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. As such, IPA is committed to hiring from a diverse pool of candidates, from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. We know that this makes our work stronger and more responsive to the challenges faced by those we work with and for and we encourage people from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Click here to learn more about IPA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.