Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks a highly motivated and qualified candidate to serve as an Associate Researcher to deepen and expand our in-house technical talent under its exciting new Consolidation Research Initiative. The Consolidation Research Initiative aims to produce the evidence needed to move promising solutions to global poverty problems from initial pilots to scalable and adaptable programs and policies. This includes field replications and extensions of impact evaluations, verification and reanalysis studies, evidence reviews and syntheses, and qualitative scoping and follow-up research. The initiative works across a variety of sectors including, health and nutrition, small and medium enterprises and entrepreneurship, social protection, and intimate partner violence and across Africa, Asia and Latin America. This is a great opportunity for a PhD to be part of cutting edge research at an organization dedicated to producing rigorous evidence and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
The ideal candidate will be self-starter who is passionate about research and evidence-based policy-making. The position will provide the candidate the opportunity to collaborate with IPA sector and country program staff and external partners to develop research projects and proposals, shape specific consolidation research agenda, conduct rigorous impact evaluations and other policy-relevant research, and publish and share results. The candidate will be expected to work outside of his or her specific area of expertise, at times, to apply rigorous impact evaluation methods, especially RCTs, in collaboration with external principal investigators that may involve top academics from leading research institutions and universities.
The position reports to the lead researcher directing the Consolidation Research Initiative and will be based in New York City, Washington, DC, or New Haven, CT with international travel estimated at 20-25 percent.
- Collaborate in developing new research projects and funding proposals based on the Consolidation Research Initiative priorities
- Design and implement research projects as a principal investigator (PI), collaborating with academic PIs in IPA’s extensive researcher network when possible
- Conduct evidence reviews and assist with identifying promising evidence-based interventions to prioritize for replication and additional research
- Lead publication of reports, peer-reviewed journal articles, policy briefcases, and bulletins resulting from research projects
- Present research study designs and results to partners and at conferences
- Supervise, manage and mentor IPA staff, external partners, and implementing partners on research projects
- Oversee financial management of portfolio of projects, with support from project managers
- Develop and manage external relationships with donors and researchers on behalf of the Consolidation Research Initiative
- Provide technical advice to other research teams as needed, and contribute to the advancement of IPA’s research protocols, data quality standards and capacity building of research staff
- PhD or equivalent in economics, social sciences, research methods, statistics or other related fields and 3-5 years of experience conducting independent research
- Experience conducting field research in developing countries; experience with RCTs preferred
- Experience managing large-scale research projects and research staff
- Strong knowledge of quantitative research design and methodology
- Fluency in quantitative data management and analysis; experience using STATA or other data analysis software
- Experience living and working internationally preferred
- Demonstrated success winning research grants
- History of publications in peer-reviewed journals, white papers, reports
- Experience leading design and implementation of research (RCTs preferred)
- Experience working with donors, government agencies, policymakers, and researchers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders and with staff at differing levels and internationally
- Twenty to twenty-five percent of international travel required on an annual basis. Length of trips vary based on project responsibilities.
To apply click here.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.