The Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Tanzania Country Office seeks a highly motivated and qualified individual with strong project, team, budget, and data management skills for the position of Associate Research Manager/Research Manager. This position will oversee a portfolio of research projects and teams in Tanzania, as well as provide support to projects in the East Africa region where needed. This portfolio will cover various development sectors and provides an opportunity to act as a critical bridge between leading academic researchers, donors, and teams implementing research on the ground. He/she will join the dynamic and committed IPA-Tanzania team and contribute to the successful development of new projects, the implementation of existing projects, and capacity building of research staff.
The Associate Research Manager/Research Manager must possess both the technical expertise to ensure the highest quality and rigor in the design and implementation of our research, as well as the financial and administrative experience to manage a range of project budgets, deliverables, and business development activities. In addition, this candidate should have a track record of successfully managing complex workflows and teams, display clear written and verbal communication skills, and have experience with senior-level stakeholder and relationship management.
This position is ideal for a strategic and solution-oriented thinker who has a technical foundation in impact evaluation methodology, a strong understanding of data management and analysis, and experience in leading high-performing research teams and projects. There is a heavy emphasis on management in this role and as such, preference will be given to applicable experience.
This position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania with occasional travel to field sites and regional offices.
The Associate/Research Manager will perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Directly supervise, coach, and mentor project staff (Senior Research Associates, Research Associates, and Field Managers) in implementing complex research projects
- Plan and supervise survey implementation, quality assurance, data cleaning, data analysis, and other activities related to successfully conducting rigorous impact evaluations
- Grow research staff capacity around coding complex digital surveys, data management, advanced statistical analysis, budget management, and writing technical reports
- Build and manage relationships with investigators, donors, and implementing partners
- Oversee project financial management, including the creation and monitoring of project budgets, staff payroll, project procurement, and ensure smooth integration of projects into IPA grant and financial systems
- Lead on the development of project deliverables, such as technical and financial reports, project briefs, blog posts, and ensure timely submission to donors and partners
- Support the dissemination of research results via presentations and reports to academic and non-academic audiences
- Contribute to new project design and lead budgeting on new proposals and business development
- Represent IPA-TZ at senior-level meetings and forums
- Provide strong regional support including management of projects in Uganda, Rwanda, Malawi, and Zambia
- Keep the Country Director apprised of all project developments and serve as a key link between the implementation team, project stakeholders, IPA Global, and Principal Investigators
- Perform related duties as assigned by Country Director
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or Bachelors degree), preferably in the area of economics, international development, public policy, or a related field
- At least three, through preferably five, years of experience with managing multiple research projects, with increasing levels of responsibility
- Excellent project management, budgeting, and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail
- Experience supervising data collection, teams of field workers, survey design and implementation and data management; background in randomized control trials preferred
- Advanced knowledge of quantitative data collection relevant to measurement and instrument development
- Superior knowledge of Stata is required; a strong knowledge of digital data collection platforms (like Survey CTO) is preferred
- Strong quantitative, budgeting, and financial management skills; experience with writing donor reports and grant proposals
- Strong written and oral communication skills, fluency in English is required
- Creativity and intellectual curiosity in experimental methods
- Ability to find quick and effective solutions to unforeseen circumstances
- Flexible, independent, self-motivating, ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and work under pressure
- Ability to work in a diverse, multi-cultural environment
- Openness to managing projects across the East African region
- Tanzania experience is preferred
- We are looking for a commitment period of at least three years for this position
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the APPROPRIATE CATEGORY job category, then select “Associate Research Manager / Research Manager”. Applications require you to include a statement of purpose (cover letter) and CV.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
As an organization, IPA is dedicated to improving the lives of the world's most vulnerable populations through evidence and policy. We also recognize how important it is for our staff to reflect the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. As such, IPA is committed to hiring from a diverse pool of candidates, from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. We know that this makes our work stronger and more responsive to the challenges faced by those we work with and for and we encourage people from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Click here to learn more about IPA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.