This is an entry-level position with high potential for growth within the team. This job provides a unique opportunity to get exposure to all aspects of a mission-driven international advisory unit. It is an ideal early-career job if you are interested in the international development and/or evidence space but haven’t had the opportunity to specialize in a specific functional role. This role will give you insights on the administrative, programmatic, and managerial aspects of our work as well as a wide range of international development sector work. You will get exposure to many different projects, all aligned with evidence-based program learning and improvement, across a wide variety of organizations working in the international development space. In addition, this role is a unique opportunity to gain exposure to structured problem-solving and communication skills associated with consulting and advisory teams, a highly sought-after skill for all careers.
The responsibilities in this job will be extremely diverse. On the same day you might be working on a budget projection, editing a deliverable, scheduling a team meeting, taking notes in a high-stakes client interview, drafting a blog post, or organizing a team-building activity. Below is a non-exhaustive list of what we expect someone in this position to work on:
Programmatic and Communication support
- Support the development and implementation of RFE advisory engagements (e.g. online research on defined topics, synthesis of documents or papers, drafting of parts of presentations, proposals or reports)
- Drafting and/or editing proposals, reports and slide decks (design, structure, spelling, etc.)
- Taking notes and synthesizing key take-aways and next steps from client meetings
- Drafting social media and blog posts to support greater access to and uptake of evidence and learning-based approaches in international development
- Reviewing inquiries from potential external partners in the RFE inbox
Administrative & team management support
- Supporting with building budgets and other types of projections (e.g staffing) on Excel and other appropriate software
- Coordinating agenda setting for team meetings
- Scheduling meetings across stakeholders and timezones
- Organizing team building activities
- Managing RFE project databases and updating IPA’s customer relationship management (CRM) database records
- Assisting with knowledge management and organizing documents
- Miscellaneous recruitment support
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Public Policy, Social Science, or a related field
- Demonstrated interest in the international development and the evidence space
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills, self-starter mindset
- Interest and ability to learn at a fast pace
- Strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Strong command of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong oral and written communication skills in the English language required
- Ability to synthesize information in an insightful way
- Work authorization in the US (OPT included), Colombia, Peru or Mexico
Preferred additional qualifications
- Exposure to the international development space
- Familiarity with statistics/econometrics and data analysis
- Interest in content development and social media influence
- Fluency in French and/or Spanish would be a plus
Applications require you to include a statement of purpose (cover letter), and CV in English.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
As an organization, IPA is dedicated to improving the lives of the world's most vulnerable populations through evidence and policy. We also recognize how important it is for our staff to reflect the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. As such, IPA is committed to hiring from a diverse pool of candidates, from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. We know that this makes our work stronger and more responsive to the challenges faced by those we work with and for and we encourage people from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Click here to learn more about IPA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-202-386-6200. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.