Please Note: All IPA Volunteerships are upaid.
Rainfall insurance is a potentially cost-effective way to protect farmers in low-income countries from adverse weather events, but its adoption has been low. IPA conducts a Randomized Control Trial (RCT) study named “Enhancing access to index-based weather agricultural insurance in Burkina Faso: a new marketing approach” to determine whether marketing rainfall insurance to farmers' urban relatives, who often help support their rural family members, may increase its use. They partnered with micro-insurance organization Planet Guarantee to evaluate the demand for a rainfall insurance product marketed to urban relatives of farmers in Burkina Faso.
The student volunteer will work closely with the project team in Ouagadougou, to support mainly data related work on the study. Mainly, the student volunteer is expected to support data management and data cleaning, data quality monitoring, training and managing of data collection teams including communicating with field teams daily and recommending improvements following data quality protocols
- A Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Economics, Social sciences, Public policy, or a related field
- Good command of STATA (skills will be tested eventually) and general strong quantitative skills
- Comfort and proficiency managing data collection teams with sensitive components
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French (skills in English is advantage)
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
- Familiarity with survey methodologies, particularly with randomized controlled trials
1) Send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org (in CC), email@example.com (in CC)
- In the email body: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
- Attachments: Please attach your resume and cover letter.
- In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: IPA Burkina Faso - Ag Insurance Student Volunteer
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.