The Accounts Payable Specialist is a key member of a small head office accounting team. Reporting into the Controller s/he is responsible for all aspects of Accounts Payable. Requests for payments are received from staff both in the US and internationally, as well as from suppliers both through the mail and electronically via email. The individual needs to have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. The ideal candidate must be able to work independently at a fast pace in a high energy office.
- Ensure that all invoices and payments are processed in a timely and accurate manner, properly recorded and IPA’s accounting policies and procedures are appropriately followed.
- Process invoices and other payment requests in accounting system and investigate and resolve problems associated with processing invoices.
- Request, review and verify documentation for all payments. Complete invoice control checklists and vendor/consultant agreement logs for payment requests.
- Review onboarding documents for consultants and set up as vendor in NetSuite for payments of services and expense reimbursements.
- Review expense reimbursements for employees and ensure they are appropriately supported, coded and approved in line with IPA’s approval matrix; Forward to payroll for payment and prepare for import into the accounting system.
- Prepare and process payments via check runs or electronic payments via ACH, wire or purchase of foreign currency. Provide appropriate support to enable payment authorization.
- Monitor accounts to ensure payments are processed within vendor terms
- Research, and resolve invoice discrepancies and issues
- Prepare and maintain vendor files including banking information, tax identification and 1099 status and process 1099s annually.
- Correspond with vendors, employees and consultants to request additional data or responding to their inquiries
- Enter month end journal entries, such as AMEX and employee expense reimbursements into accounting system and assist with month end closing and year-end closing as required.
- Ensure all filing is properly organized and kept up to date.
- Help provide audit support as required.Provide other analyses and support as required by Controller.
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and changing environment and to handle multiple tasks and demands, and establish priorities while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with an ability to effectively liaise across levels and departments in the organization and with key partners
- Ability to function as a member of a team to fulfill the department’s goals
- Demonstrated success in maintaining the appropriate level of confidentiality of information
Education and Experience
- 1-3 years of experience in accounts payable or general accounting
- Strong knowledge of accounts payable and general accounting procedures
- Excellent computer proficiency particularly in MS Excel and data entry and management.
- Prior experience with accounting packages, particularly NetSuite a plus
To apply click here.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 575 leading academics to conduct over 650 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
** Please note that only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.