Fighting Poverty with Innovation, Evidence and Action
Innovations for Poverty Action is a nonprofit dedicated to discovering what works to help the world’s poor. We design and evaluate programs in real contexts with real people, and provide hands-on assistance to bring successful programs to scale.
What makes us different?
IPA evaluates what works in fighting poverty using the most rigorous methodology available: the randomized controlled trial.
We are led by researchers including some of the most recognized names in development economics, many holding faculty positions at universities such as Harvard, Yale, MIT, and LSE.
- We have experience working in over 40 countries around the world.
- Our research spans a variety of fields, including microfinance, education, health, agriculture, charitable giving, political participation, and social capital.
- We work with a variety of different organizations, including non-profits, governments, and for-profit companies.
- Our staff receive rigorous training in implementing randomized controlled trials in the field, so that we always maintain the highest scientific standards for our evaluations.
- We are committed to not just measuring the impact of a program, but also working with organizations to facilitate integration of research results into operations to ensure continuous improvement and the replication of successful ideas.
We strive to bridge the gap between cutting-edge academic research and action by nonprofits, governments, and firms.
We share the evidence we generate with development practitioners, policy-makers and donors. Where appropriate, we work closely with partners to facilitate the replication of effective programs in other areas of the world.